DIY fitting of Radiators - Opinions please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I consider myself to be a fairly competant DIY'er, knowing my limits. I turn out work to a good standard, but aren't shy about calling in the professionals if a job is beyond my scope or legality.

I've bought 4 'designer' radiators from a UK company, who deal both on a trade basis and to retail customers. These radiators come with NO documentation whatsoever to support installation. Now, I accept that the normal plumbing practices needn't be documented because it is assumed that by taking on the installation, you will have the relevant knowledge. However, as far as bracket placement etc goes, is it unreasonable of me to expect a 'template' or a plan guide for these?

By design, many of their radiators have fixed position brackets that are very unfriendly in terms of tolerance, so must be placed very accurately. This is noted in feedback on their own website and revised in the some of the newer models. Honestly now, would you professional Plumbers expect some guidance as to the placement? Or would you rely totally on your knowledge for this?

It's the first time I've received a product with no documentation at all.

Sponsored Links
Lay the rads face down onto a piece of card for protection, and position the brackets on the back - imagining that the weight of the rad would ensure that its pressed deep into its brackets, if you catch my drift.
Decide how high up the wall you want the rads to be, and deduct the measurement from the top of the bracket to the top of the rad, then draw a horizontal line with a pencil and spirit level.
This line will correspond to the top of the bracket.
Decide where you want the centre of the rad to be, and draw a vertical line using the spirit level.
Your bracket spacing must be on equal sides of this line. Usually there's a bit of leeway left and right.
Presumably the pipework doesn't exist at this time?
Fix one bracket, and make sure the other one is exactly level with it.
Slight inaccuracy to the left or right generally isn't an issue.
Check your measurements constantly!
A tip is not to have the rads too low - the air needs to convect up through them.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back