DIY gabion baskets?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i want to make a curved wall out of stone filled baskets and wondered if I could make my own?

Can I buy the same mesh in large sheets?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Very nice!! Thanks for the link and tip on the mesh (y)

Mine would retain about 800mm so might be better a bit deeper.

Just like with plywood, 8x4 is the standard size for a sheet.

You can get the thinner gauges on a roll, but it might not be strong enough

Just like with plywood, 8x4 is the standard size for a sheet.

You can get the thinner gauges on a roll, but it might not be strong enough

I’ve found a place that does bigger so i’ve asked for a price. There’s a place on e-bay that does loads too so will call them.

Where do you think you'll get your stone from? Can be very expensive.

I’ve got some and my sister has a farm so might be able to get some off her. I thought of putting concrete blocks in the back.

If the mesh works out too expensive I could buy walling stone for £50 sq/yrd and forget the cages, I like them though and hate the grass slope that’s there at the minute.

This is where I want it with a circle of slabs where the tree is:
68B02541-CFFC-4586-94D5-EEA96452486B.jpeg

Then steps to the right and a slope down to the left.

Last edited:
The wall would only need to be retaining if built vertical and filled in behind, what about battering up the slope in dry stone, planting up between and pockets for colour and interest?

The wall would only need to be retaining if built vertical and filled in behind, what about battering up the slope in dry stone, planting up between and pockets for colour and interest?

I was thinking of digging the slope out so it has a slight angle then having the baskets tipping back a bit.

Dry stone would be nice too, there’s a rough stone wall behind it and a neater one in front so anything that suits will do.

My Oh likes her gardens rustic and drywalled and planted up the bottom half of the bank behind the house.

Attachments

• AB7ED4C2-1CE9-47F3-9ACB-8831082A86B7.jpeg
    AB7ED4C2-1CE9-47F3-9ACB-8831082A86B7.jpeg
    336.3 KB · Views: 260
I’ve gone off the gabion idea now so am just looking to do it in stone.

I’ve used up all the stone I have and my sisters walls are different.

I’ve found a guy on e-bay selling similar stuff to mine (lots of red) for £80 ton which will do 3 or 4sq/mtrs. I can’t find anywhere else selling the same sort of stuff but that price seems right enough to me, what do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back