DIY install reclaimed front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In a long story cut short, I was scammed out of the £1500 I had set aside to replace my uPVC front door by a sophisticated invoice hacker scam. Anger has turned to a miserable acceptance.

To get over it, I am going to replace the front door and side window myself with the help of my father-in-law, who is a handy amateur joiner and very good DIYer, and i would say I am an assured DIYer. I have built and hung internal walls and doors before, but never tackled a front door. It doesn't seem like a huge leap forward in skills. Have attached pics of door at the moment. Have bought and had stripped a reclaimed 1930s door that I am having reglazed with stained glass and have commissioned a stained glass side window so that both match the original features on display in other 1930 houses in my street. My questions are:

1) Am I crazy doing this myself?
2) Am I likely to fall foul of building regs?
3) Before deep research, I am assuming I build a complete frame for window and door first, then insert the window, install and hang door. Is this a good back-of-napkin workflow?
4) I have never fitted a window before. Could someone point me towards some good advice or guides for this?

Any other tips, advise or warnings (even if it is - don't do it!) would be hugely appreciated. Determined to claw back this £1500 through my own hard work and learn some new skills along the way.

Tom

Attachments

• 20170604_153453_resized.jpg
    20170604_153453_resized.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 20170604_153510_resized.jpg
    20170604_153510_resized.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 165
Sponsored Links
Hi Tom,

So, are you removing the white frame seen in the photo's? And you also want to make your own new frame? If I understand this correctly then I would go about making my frames first (one for the window and one for the door), then I would hang the door in the frame in your garage or workshop. Once you're confident it fits and you've got all the ironmongery fitted I would proceed with replacing the old one. I don't know much about the regulations, but I'm sure you can do some research and maybe call the governing body for building regs regarding doors, gaskets, sealants and glass. If you can afford it, make the entire frame from hardwood, sapele is fine, if you can't afford that then just make the sill's out of hardwood. Your glazier should have allowed for enough room in the frame for packing, if you ask, he might even have some window packers. Pack the window all around but not so tight that the glass breaks, pin your window beads on and depending on whether its internally or externally beaded you will want to seal the outside with silicone. Double sided security glazing tape is also a good idea, you stick it to the inside of the rebate and the glass sticks to it. But be careful, once the glass has stuck to it, you will not get it off!!! For specific things like 'how to make an external door frame', you can better search for a video online.

Hope this helps,

Oli

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back