Making my own front door. Good idea or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I've just moved into a Victorian house which has the original front door which has sadly warped. I thought it'd be quite a fun project to build my own door but there doesn't seem to be a lot of people online doing it. I was thinking a couple of sheets of 22mm ply sandwiching 5mm of some insulating board (except round the edges which'd have 5mm ply to hold the thing together. I'd transfer the original stained glass panels from the old door into the new. I could then build up some paneling on the front and back using moldings etc.

Is this viable or is there a lot more to door construction than I anticipate? I'd end up painting the door so I don't need to worry about veneers or anything like that

Sponsored Links
I think you'd need an internal frame, particularly if you ever plan to fit a lock. I made a door for my garden room it was pretty much as you described except I built an internal timber frame. I'm not sure I'd want it on my front door though.

Even painted, I wouldn't trust ply when exposed to the elements. Part of me thinks it would be better to make the door stops fit the warped door...

Sponsored Links
Yeah the previous owners had basically chosen that route. There's rubber door seals on the frame that have been moved inwards in one corner so that the door met the seals (but not the frame). It's cleared warped a bit more since then because there's a gap again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back