DIY porch build out of line with existing building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

So i got a bit carried away and decided to build myself a DIY porch (no planing or building regs required).

I found porch was difficult to set out due to the corner of the building protruding past the building line.

Anyway, I have now learned a few lessons and have discovered that my porch is built square but 10mm out of square to the existing property. Please see attached sketch.

The deviation occurs over 1.4m so im about 0.7% out. However the building regs stipulate an 8mm deviation for lengths up to 5m.

The porch is engineering brick below DPC and rendered above. I'm now at 2 blocks above DPC and have also cast the 100mm floor slab to the internal leaf.

The deviation is not hugely noticeable, but it is to me because i know its there.

My question is;
What is the best way to lessen the impact, do I
  • Take down / break out and start again.
  • Float out the render say 5mm an live with a 5mm deviation.
  • Build the blockwork out 10mm so that the render is consistent thickness (and thus wont impacts of the window reveals.
What are the other aspects I should consider if I do one of the above / continue to build such as the roof members / guttering etc.

Thanks for any input.

EDIT: sketch revised.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
10mm out even over that short length shouldn’t really be noticeable, your sketch is exaggerated. I’d just crack on, or if it’s being rendered you could hatch the blockwork out a bit over a few courses and use render to cover a multitude of sins. Personally I wouldn’t bother knocking down what you’ve already done

10mm out even over that short length shouldn’t really be noticeable, your sketch is exaggerated. I’d just crack on, or if it’s being rendered you could hatch the blockwork out a bit over a few courses and use render to cover a multitude of sins. Personally I wouldn’t bother knocking down what you’ve already done

Thanks for the reply.
Of course the sketch is exaggerated :LOL:

Hatch? Do you mean stagger out?

To be honest I realized the mistake prior to casting the slab but managed to get convinced it would be OK.
I'm now thinking about the impact this will have on the roof structure. The rafters would still be cut to a consistent overhang and so this may exaggerate the problem..

Sponsored Links
As its rendered you're in luck. 10mm is nothing

Either bring the corner out and square things up now before you go any further. The bell cast will hide it at DPC level. Or split the difference and take one corner in and the other out.

Thanks for the reply.
Of course the sketch is exaggerated :LOL:

Hatch? Do you mean stagger out?

To be honest I realized the mistake prior to casting the slab but managed to get convinced it would be OK.
I'm now thinking about the impact this will have on the roof structure. The rafters would still be cut to a consistent overhang and so this may exaggerate the problem..
Yes stagger out. Or as woody says just oversail the next course by 10mm. It won’t impact the roof.

I've seen new buildings out by a lot more and it's not noticeable.
You're right that when you build the roof you will have some sort of slight non square line, but it's very minor.
Just follow the porch wall lines with the roof rafters.
You'll be ok, don't knock it down.

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

What do you think about the following;
continue the build 10mm off and inline with what's already built.
Thicken the render up by 5 or 10mm on the one side to try and bring the building line back to square up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back