DIY porch. Damp concrete base.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all I'm after some advice.

Purchased my house late last year now I'm looking to replace the rotten lean to porch.

The existing porch has a dwarf wall single skin wall the rest is wood and glass with a felt roof. It looks like a DIY job either that or the brickie had been to the pub before he started. The wood is all rotten and the floor was damp.

I was hoping to use the original foundations. It is sat on a concrete slab that is thick and it hasn't moved so I'd imagine it'll be fine. I'll be building a dwarf brick and block wall the rest will be upvc and the roof will be hip using 'metrotile' so weight wise it should be fine sat on that.

Now here's my issue;

I ripped up the tiles in the porch and came across a screed I removed that so I could check the concrete base. Under the screed they had put a dpm and it as visibly wet between that and the concrete base. The base has now dried in most places apart from a little bit in the corner. Am I right in thinking that that the dpm should've been between the hardcore and concrete base then the screen laid on top of that. I don't have enough height to have a suspended floor which would've been better as I could've just put air bricks around to prevent the damp. So I need to use this base. What can I do to prevent damp. I've been thinking maybe a tanking kit then screed over that?

I can raise the floor by about 8 inch to the same level as the house.

The final finish will be porcelain tiles.

Or should I scrap it all and do the footings again... I'd do that but there's a drain running right under the slab! Which is the reason why I didn't want to mess about with it in the first place.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back