DIY Rainwater tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
have een cosnidering a rainwater tank but the problem has been where to put it. The large opnse are 40 or so gallons and would be either an eyesore or obstruct access round the side of the house.

There is a 1m gap between our house an the neighbours which is peresently a dump for sacks of sand, spare flag setc. It is around 8m long and lower than my rear garden - we are on a slope and neighbours house is slightly lower than ours.

I would like to build a tank here (Say 8m by 1m by 1/4m) to store rainwater and use a submersible pump to water the garden. Probably use a timber frame/WBP ply sides/pond liner and a decking top so I can walk over it safely. There is a drain pipe nearby.

Anyone see any issues with doing this?

Any alternate suggestions for construction?

Sponsored Links
it would need a "fall" to one end where the pump goes. or you'll end up with 8mx1mx2inches of water you can't get out of it.. :)

a "sump" at the pump end would also help..

I would leave a removable hatch at one end so you can get in to scrape the crud off the sides..

Had thought about the sump but not the fall.

The top was going to be in sections so I could lift it a bit at a time.

if youre going to put a deck over it, it will be cheaper and stronger to do it in sleepers and line it out with a pond liner, rather than fafa about with a frame and cutting the wbp

Sponsored Links
Was trying NOT to have a solid surface (sleeper) against my (and neighbours) house wall and sleepers are going to occupy about 1/3 of the available volume - they are about 6" thick and the gap is around 1m wide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back