DIY - sentinel x400

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello you helpful bunch,

I need to 'de-sludge' the rads in my house, so I'm thinking I'll use Sentinel x400.

I've never ever done anything like this, I'm a decent DIYer but a relative novice when it comes to plumbing. I've had a good look around here to see if me questions have already been answered but can't really find what I'm after....

All I'm looking for is a simple step by step guide to using Sentinel x400, where to add it and how, what to turn off and when, how to drain the system etc etc??

Anyone know where I can get this info or could anyone help me out??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you know for certain that your rads have sludge in them? Are they hot all over?

To drain:

You will need to drain your heating system down.

In the loft you will find a small cold water cistern, probably next to a bigger one where the two pipes you mentioned come from.
The small cistern will have a ball valve in it. On the pipe that feeds the ball valve you may find a shut off valve. Close this. If there isn't one you can use a piece of string to tie up the ball valve so that it remains closed.
Turn all your heating/hot water controls off.
On or near a downstairs rad find a drain off. Attach a hose to this running outside. Open the drain off and all the CH water will drain out. When this is done you can now change the valve.
You will then have to refill the system by releasing the ball valve/opening shut off (close the drain off first!), adding inhibitor, and then bleed all the radiators and pump etc. When you have refilled and bled all the rads turn your system back on and fire it up. You will probably have to bleed a bit more over the next day or two, do this with the system off.

If in doubt ask ;)

Ideally once you've drained I would remove all the rads and flush them out with a hose. Then put them back refill system with a system cleaner in. Leave for ethree weeks then drain, fill and flush again then refill with inhibitor.

Would second that take all rads off and hose them out changing from side to side and shaking rads while half full then hosing again this will get more carp out than any other method

Sponsored Links
Pretty sure its a sludge problem, had a plumber around a few weeks back who sorted a problem with heating, he mentioned it'd be a good idea to flush system/Sentinel x400 the system and took me around each rad noting how all were coldish from bottom to middle in an arch shape.

Chris - it's not seriously bad, but our bedroom rad is quite cold all over and all others are noticably cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back