DIY UPVC window fitting....and FENSA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to move into a house requiring a lot of work, including full double glazing. To save a LOT of money, I was hoping to do this work myself.....enter FENSA :(

I realise that I would now have to submit a buildings notice to our local council. So really:

How strict are they on inspection?

I have never fitted windows before, but I know it's reletively easy, and I can usually turn my hand to most things...given time. All windows are at ground level so that helps a lot.

Am I being nieve here, or is it something a lot of DIY 'ers tackle?

Also, not that this is something I am considering, honest :) But if I were to do the work then sell on in a few years time, how would they know that the glazing was not fitted prior to 2002?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ooohhhh! you'll have the moderators round to do you in, you've broken the rules asking about money :eek: but instead of asking here, PICK UP THE PIGGIN' PHONE AND DIAL 0800 .........on second thoughts ring your local building control dept, they KNOW the answers.

nomy said:
If I were to do the work then sell on in a few years time, how would they know that the glazing was not fitted prior to 2002?
They have date stamped on the spacer bar inside the dg unit.

Ok, sorry about the financial info request....post edited.

Masona, would it be usual procedure during a survey for them to check these date stamps then?

Sponsored Links
In that case, use wooden frames, fit single glazing and swear blind they were always like that. :)

Theres no need to be scared of BCOs they are human and can provide a wealth of guidance - for the cost of replacing all your windows and doors the cost will be low - but only your local BC office will be able to tell you.

Inevitably if you go ahead without speaking to them your neighbours will dob you in or if will be picked up when you sell your house - best to do it properly first time round, check what you need to comply and have no worries over the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back