DIY UPVC windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

I need new windows. Bottom line is I can't afford at an estimate £15k to get them done.

I'm pretty competent in DIY and am an engineer by trade so quite good with my hands.

So basically I've watched a few you tube tutorials and fancy having a go but from the experts is it worth me tackling the job? I totally get I'm probably looking at one frame a day.

Thoughts please guys.

Sponsored Links
You'll need to do it under a Building Control Notice, but it's all quite straight forward. The main question is what type of windows do you currently have. Make sure that you get internally glazed windows, and you won't need scaffolding - but I'm sure some here will disagree.

You'll need to do it under a Building Control Notice, but it's all quite straight forward. The main question is what type of windows do you currently have. Make sure that you get internally glazed windows, and you won't need scaffolding - but I'm sure some here will disagree.

That's the trouble with my current ones they're externally beaded (black rubber) and I'd guess 20 years old upvc. But i can see the screws in the frame so as long as i measure correctly and correct me If I'm being ignorant but bolt out bolt in with a 5mm expansion gap then silicone up?

I've never used an expansion gap, as that would allow the frame to flex and wobble, so I tend to fit into the opening without it being overly tight. If you've got solid brickwork behind the frame, the you can use and SDS drill to go straight through the frame into the brickwork, and then use a concrete frame screw with a torx head, but you need to work out the correct size drill bit to use, as these need to fit snug, but not too tight. Some people use frame fixing screws, but I find they can be hit or miss at times.

You'd fit the frame, hang out of the opening and either use sealant or upvc beading with superglue and activator, and then put the glass units in and fit the internal beading to secure the glass.

Sponsored Links
15k! Surely you could pawn one of the Rolls on the drive if money is a little tight.
Seriously though how many window and doors? Stay away from the big national company's and get quotes from a few local ones.

Fitting is fairly straight forward (make sure you seal the back edge and 2 ends of the cills!!!!!) and use expanding foam.
The skill is actually in:
Surveying accurately and knowing all the regs. Fire egress, Ventilation, Safety glazing to name a few.
Removing the old windows with little to no damage.
Making good.

Go for it. I'm a similar profile to you and have diy'd two houses. Personally I prefer allowing 5mm all round then I can get a good home for the silicone in the front, and the foam in the back is easier to apply too.

Thunderbolts (or equivalent) all the way!

£15k . lol

I hope your measuring is better than your estimating, or the windows will be 3x too big (or too small)

I do wonder why frames only 20 years old need to be renewed though.

£15k . lol

I hope your measuring is better than your estimating, or the windows will be 3x too big (or too small)

Have you seen my house/how many windows? Want to come and quote?

Because they're externally beaded.

Thanks for your helpful contribution to this thread though. I truly wish I had as much time on my hands as you do…

Go for it. I'm a similar profile to you and have diy'd two houses. Personally I prefer allowing 5mm all round then I can get a good home for the silicone in the front, and the foam in the back is easier to apply too.

Thunderbolts (or equivalent) all the way!

I think I'm going to order a small one and see how the process goes and evaluate from there!

Because they're externally beaded.

Thanks for your helpful contribution to this thread though. I truly wish I had as much time on my hands as you do…

My free time is wasted. :( I should have spent it researching why externally beaded frames fail after only 20 years.

What's it like living in a greenhouse, BTW?

I learnt by watching windows being I installed, and they don't get fitted tight, but neither do they have an expansion gap either. They need to be able to drop in the window opening, and sort of sit there whilst you fix them in (and any methods good as long as they're secure) but 5mm expansion gap will allow them to flex. Run a rag with white spirit round the frame when you're finished, let it dry, and then you can silicone, but the beading and then silicone looks more professional, even if it does take longer to do, and it'll cover a greater variation in the wall if necessary.

Good idea on the small test piece Joe.

My free time is wasted. :( I should have spent it researching why externally beaded frames fail after only 20 years.

What's it like living in a greenhouse, BTW?

This forums full of members like you who get some kind of kick from spamming people threads. Kindly take your advise elsewhere. Thanks.

Kindly take your advise elsewhere. Thanks

Kindly advise everyone why externally glazed frames need to be replaced after only 20 years. Thanks.

Never mind about the bit about living in a greenhouse.I was only messing. I can guess what it is like for the veggies.

Kindly advise everyone why externally glazed frames need to be replaced after only 20 years. Thanks.

Never mind about the bit about living in a greenhouse.I was only messing. I can guess what it is like for the veggies.

Wtf is your problem. I'd like new windows. I'm sorry this offends you so much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back