DIY Workbench - Mild Steel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was planning on building a workbench for my workshop. I had planned on:-

1) Sandwiching 2 sheets of 18mm MDF together.
2) Build a frame from CLS
3) Skinning the top in some form of metal sheet
4) Edging the top of the bench with pine.

Is there anyway I can treat mild steel to maintain the surface quality (clear lacquer?) or would this just be doomed to degrade/rust?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Joe2003, good evening.

What is the end use for the bench? meaning what will it be used for?

Problem with your proposal for steel sheet cover is, as you note, rust, even if covered in a lacquer rust will occur where the lacquer is scratched ?

Have you considered using a length of kitchen worktop? loads of colour variation? reasonable impact damage resistance? unless you are into serious metal bashing, but most of all a thick material that is robust and will not deflect under a load and be a stable base for you.

Ken

Consider scrapping the MDF idea, and go for ply....much more resilient material.
As for a top, think of aluminium sheet (checker plate maybe) but if that's not what you need, a Lino covering, with angle edging, could be possible.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Visit a scrapyard to look for chequer plate, may be a lot cheaper than new
If the benchtop is ply, the metal can be thin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back