DIYnot eletricians quiz

Sponsored Links
Yes I know. It was a joke.

How can green be a primary colour? It is a mixture of blue and yellow.

i know that but its considered a primary colour in lighting - perhaps you should tell me why, you are the lighting man

Yes I know you need to mix RGB in lighting to get white light, but that was not the question.

ebee asked for the three primary colours, which are red, yellow, blue. The old 3 phase colours, (hence the joke) If you wish to pedantic, they are magenta, cyan, and yellow

Sponsored Links
no, i wasnt being pedantic, i really have no idea why the primary lighting colours are RGB, i thought perhaps you could tell me, since as you said green is made from yellow and blue

I've done some reading, and it seems we are both right.

There are infact two sets of primary colours. One for lighting (RGB) and one for paint and inks etc. (CMY).

I'm not sure why it works differently for each medium though.

RF,

I liked that,

Should have guessed someone should say that.

Real reason for question is that there are actually 6 not three, being two sets of three and most people get it wrong. Especially artists.

There are two sets of three primary colours.

1/
Emitted light.
Light from the stars like our Sun.
From TV and torches lamps etc.
They are Red,Green & Blue, mix them and you can get all the colours.
(omit to get black).
They are addative.

2/ Reflected light.
Inks/Dyes/Paints etc.
They are Cyan, Magenta & Yellow.
They are subtrative.

If you add any two from one set you get one of the other set too.

There are issues with intensity/shading etc according to the mix but that`s another subject for another day.

When you are young it is very unusual to get Cyan & Magenta paints and Crayons so a "fudge" is done and and two from one set and one from the other set is used as a very near approximation.

But it is not three true primary colours

Right then ,
another tie breaker then.

"If a brick weighs 7 pounds and half a brick then what does a brick and a half weigh?"

21lb.

If an aeroplane is on a runway that's actually a giant conveyor belt that moves backwards at the same speed as.....

Oh maybe not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back