Do all indirect cyliders need a bleed valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

As the title says "Do all indirect cyliders need a bleed valve"

I think it's called a "bleed valve" - it's usually beside the cylinder on a little bit of 1/2 pipe to bleed the cylinder coil the way you can bleed a radiator?

Reason for asking is that I am working on a house and there is none.

By the way what is the technical name for this?

Any comments?

V

Sponsored Links
Bleed valve is probably correctly called a manual air vent (MAV). It is only necessary if there no other way for air in the top of the cylinder coil heat exchanger (the thing inside the cylinder next to the connection with the MAV) to escape when the system is filled.

Thanks for reply Chris :)

The valve I was talking about has a little nut on it that a radiator key would fit. It doesn't have a cap on the top that can be turned by hand.

How do you decide if the cylinder coil needs one of these or not? How else would you "bleed" the coil of air if one of these was not present?

Many Thanks

V

Sponsored Links
If the pipework rises (or runs horizontally) up to the system vent pipe then it will vent itself. Otherwise you will need some sort of mechanical device, which can be automatic (AAV) or manual (MAV) - these may have caps or plugs with screws slots or square shanks or whatever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back