Do all RCD trip with a power outage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do all 30ma rcd trip with a network power outage. Or is it just a rcd brand thing ?

Sponsored Links
Do all 30ma rcd trip with a network power outage. Or is it just a rcd brand thing ?

It's not a brand thing - it's a type thing. Passive does not trip on power failure, Active does.

I think you only get active ones in FCUs, sockets, plug-in/inline ones.

Does anybody make rail-mounted ones for CUs?

I can see the sense of active RCBOs for cooker circuits, for example.

Sponsored Links
I think you only get active ones in FCUs, sockets, plug-in/inline ones. Does anybody make rail-mounted ones for CUs?
I certainly haven't seen any, so I'm inclined to 'think' the same as you, but that does not prove much.
I can see the sense of active RCBOs for cooker circuits, for example.
True - and the same could be said for sockets circuits, if there were any possibility that, for example, a power tool, hand mixer or whatever could be plugged in and switched on at the time of a power cut. However, some people might regard active RCDs in CUs as representing a 'nuisance'.

Kind Regards, John

Apart from F/F, alarms and lighting, I think they'd be a good thing.
One could certainly argue that. Mind you, active RCDs achieve nothing at all unless people remember to switch off anything relevant before resetting the RCD after power is restored. The only foolproof method would be to have the NVR functionality within each power tool, cooker or whatever.

Kind Regards, John

+BB Router, Server, NAS, switch, CCTV etc (all via the UPS, of course). I wouldn't want my house to go offline whilst I was away just because of a short brown-out, which happen surprisingly often round here (South London!)

+BB Router, Server, NAS, switch, CCTV etc (all via the UPS, of course). I wouldn't want my house to go offline whilst I was away just because of a short brown-out, which happen surprisingly often round here (South London!)
That's the 'nuisance' side I mentioned. As I said, the proper solution would be to have NVR functionality built into anything which could be dangerous (on restoration of power) if switched on at the time of power loss - which I assume is the way the issue is generally addressed in industrial settings.

Kind Regards, John

I disagree. Wife and I often only have stand lamps on downstairs and rarely use the top lights in the bedroom etc. A tripping RCD during a temporary power loss would be a dangerous occurance for us.

I disagree. Wife and I often only have stand lamps on downstairs and rarely use the top lights in the bedroom etc. A tripping RCD during a temporary power loss would be a dangerous occurance for us.
As so often, it's clearly a case of swings and roundabouts, but would it really be that dangerous for you to find your way to a light switch in the dark?

Kind Regards, John

Mind you, active RCDs achieve nothing at all unless people remember to switch off anything relevant before resetting the RCD after power is restored.
Yes, but they'd be there, and might notice the chip pan start to bubble, or the iron to make a clicking noise, or the <insert-rotating-chopping-grinding-slicing-tool-of-your-choice> start up.

Mind you, active RCDs achieve nothing at all unless people remember to switch off anything relevant before resetting the RCD after power is restored.
Yes, but they'd be there, and might notice the chip pan start to bubble, or the iron to make a clicking noise, or the <insert-rotating-chopping-grinding-slicing-tool-of-your-choice> start up.
When you say "they'd be there", are you referring to the fact that they would (necessarily, if they were restting an active RCD) be in the house? If so, what you say is obviously correct (as it also would be if they were there when the power were restored in the presence of passive RCDs) - but would you really expect the chip pan, iron, rotating/chopping whatsit or whatever to be left switched on whist they were not 'there' (in the housr)? ... or am I missing your point?

Kind Regards, John

I'm sure that there are people who have not turned off the chip pan/iron/amputation device upon a power cut, and then after some time of waiting, gone to bed or gone out, forgetting that they had not turned it off....

I'm sure that there are people who have not turned off the chip pan/iron/amputation device upon a power cut, and then after some time of waiting, gone to bed or gone out, forgetting that they had not turned it off....
I suppose that has to be true on some occasions.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back