RCD Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A question that is being debated at the moment ...

There is a 2.5mm SWA cable supplying an external supply to an HV Transformer enclosure from a wind Turbine.

In all of these enclosures there is only a bulkhead fitting as the light source controlled by two door micro switches in parallel (two doors, one to access the HV side of the TX and one for the LV side) and NO sockets at all.

Some of these enclosures have sectionalisers within them controlled by Micom relays which prevents all the turbines coming on at once after an outage and causing a GRID dip.... so they are timed.

On our regular checks, sometimes the RCD has tripped (30mA) and it knocks out the control relays. I am sure that a 100mA RCD should be fitted when electronic equipment is used and this may prevent nuisance tripping because it runs the internal batteries down, due to the LED's on the control switches.

Any thoughts anybody if this would help?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
What is the RCD provide for?
If the wind stops blowing, do the lights go out?
Why not just have mains lights - sounds like there's enough power there!

Sorry, obviously not clear enough..

The 30mA RCD only protects the 240v supply to the cabinet and off this is a light, 2-cabinet door switches and the supply to the protection relays.

:LOL: no the lights don't go out when the wind stops blowing.

I just think that a 100mA RCD would be more suitable and may prevent nuicense tripping, it's not as if there are any outside sockets installed that need to have a 30mA RCD installed!

Sponsored Links
Why rely on wind power at all? Why not use the mains supply via battery backup, or is it just some sort of token gesture to keep the greens happy?

I'd say that this is a fairly sizeable wind turbine if it has an HV step up transformer to feed the grid..

and a cabinet for it with 2 doors.. pretty big cabinet..

given that it's in an HV transformer housing it may be being affected by the magnetics from the transformer..

As you are using SWA then you could probably dispense with the 30mA RCD completely.

Depends on what type of supply it is, if it is TN then yes. I think the OP needs to explain more fully what the installation is.

seeing as he mentions HV transformers and GRID dips, my guess is it's a big wind turbine farm somewhere.. ( hardly DIY btw... )

I'd say that this is a fairly sizeable wind turbine if it has an HV step up transformer to feed the grid..

and a cabinet for it with 2 doors.. pretty big cabinet..

given that it's in an HV transformer housing it may be being affected by the magnetics from the transformer..

Now this is something we would like photos of! Sounds like an interesting job. If you show us a photo of the incoming supply we might be able to help.

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back