Do anti-scale devices ACTUALLY work?

We fitted a water softener when we refurbished our house over 10 years ago.

Here in Surrey the water is really hard so not having one isn’t an option really.

Soft water is also very good for your car windscreen wiper reservoir as they never block up

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Call me thick, but I'm not following.

He uses descaled water.

Which water is the salty water?
Such that he's going to let the salt run out?
The descaled water is salty (apparently). It encourages rust. And kills his plants.

The descaled water is salty (apparently). It encourages rust. And kills his plants.

Iirc, it's the softened water that is salty.
The salt is added, as part of the process to remove other minerals.

Descalers operate on a different principle, something electrical or magnetic.

Water softeners work.

The softened water is not salty. Salt is used to regenerate the resin beads that absorb calcium from the water. It is rinsed down the drain.

As above
The process in a water softener is called ion exchange
I live / work in a area where the water is described as aggressively hard
Only thing that works 100% is a proper ion exchange water softener do need setting up correctly.

Water softeners work.

The softened water is not salty. Salt is used to regenerate the resin beads that absorb calcium from the water. It is rinsed down the drain.
Exactly
Anyway softening isn't I think what the OP is asking about. I think he means the devices that fit on the pipe and are supposed to condition the water or dissolved salts in some way to prevent scaling. I don't believe there's any scientific basis for that.

We have soft water, with a little dissolved limestone. It doesn't cause much of a problem here, just collects on tap outlets, and in the kettle. I heard about a stainless steel mesh, you put into a kettle, which helps prevent it forming. I had some SS pan scrubbers in the cupboard, and so tried one in the kettle. It certainly helps considerably.

We have soft water, with a little dissolved limestone. It doesn't cause much of a problem here, just collects on tap outlets, and in the kettle. I heard about a stainless steel mesh, you put into a kettle, which helps prevent it forming. I had some SS pan scrubbers in the cupboard, and so tried one in the kettle. It certainly helps considerably.
I remember many years ago when i was a child my mother always had a stainless steel ball of mesh in the kettle. Seemed to work.

I remember many years ago when i was a child my mother always had a stainless steel ball of mesh in the kettle. Seemed to work.

It does work, not 100%, but very little scale forms in our electric kettle - I've not needed to use descaler, since using the SS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back