Do building firms charge for the job, or by the day?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to get an extension done to my house, and I'm starting to sound out quotations for the building work.

Tell, me do building contractors charge by the day - so if they finish early then I pay less, or by the "job" meaning if they finish late then its their own fault for quoting too low in the first place.

I'm looking to get a written quote from a builder which either gives me a "price for job - however long it takes", or a "daily rate", with a good estimate of the time the job will take - as opposed to an optimistic conservative estimate.

Obviously I understand that if the job takes longer than expected then by the "day rate" example, I would pay more, by the "job rate" I would not.

Is this right?

thanks,

Guy

Sponsored Links
you've basically summed up the gist of builders quotes:

day rate work = onus is on the customer.

price work = onus is on the builder.

some builders may take the pi$$ if they are on day rate and milk the job for all it's worth. a lot of reputable builders are far too busy to hang around though.

i personally prefer to work to a price, or indeed, i prefer tradesmen to give me a price should anyone work for me.

there are certain jobs that are difficult to quote, so day rate is the only solution, otherwise the quote or price would seem extreme, in order to cover all eventualities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back