Estimated building costs versus actual - Advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A builder estimated a smallish job (some external repairs to brickwork). I asked him how many men would be required and how long the job would take. He told me that the job would take three days and require two men. The overall estimated cost was reasonable based on hiring two men for three days. The job was completed, but in fact, it only took the contractor two days to complete. The builder has now sent in the bill for the full amount (based on three days work). If they’d originally said the job would take two days at the rate they’d estimated, I would have said it was expensive and negotiated the cost. However, based on their projected manpower/time required, it was a reasonable estimate. Should I ask for him to knock some money off the final bill or ask for the two guys to come back and work an additional day on other tasks? Any advice on how to handle this situation would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
You agreed a job and it was completed to your satisfaction.
I and I suppose all builders, always overestimate the time it takes to do a job so I don't get the customer breathing on my neck.
Pay him what was agreed and you can build a good relationship with him so to negotiate prices in future.
I always blacklisted customers who tried (unsuccessfully) to shortchange me and spread the news to other traders.
Some customers with short hands are now forced to call Pimlico plumbers (at 5 times the price) or some unknown bodgers from checkatrade.

You were given a price for a job. The time to do it, and the cost to do it, were reasonable you said.
The fact they did it in less time, but still to your satisfaction, is immaterial. This is how some firms manage to make a profit. It also leads to them gaining a good reputation, which in turn may lead to more work.
They are not your personal slaves that you can call them back, to do more 'unspecified' work at no extra cost to you because you feel you haven't had your monies worth.
Accept the fact that you came across a good company, pay their bill and give them a good review on their website, or tell your friends how pleased you are with their work.

I and I suppose all builders, always overestimate the time it takes to do a job so I don't get the customer breathing on my neck.
In any building job there are often hidden factors which you can't see when you view the job, so you have to factor in some contingency. This means for any decent tradesman there will be swings and roundabouts where some jobs take less time/materials than quoted whilst others take more. So I wonder if the OP would have been offering to pay extra had the job taken an extra half day or so?

The biggest mistake here is the builder gave you both a fixed price and and an estimation of how many man days

this thread should be sticky so every tradesman can see what happens when you do that

For the OP, here is something to think about:

If the builder priced the job for 2 days, but it actually ended up taking 3 days would you be happy to pay the extra?

Thanks for all the responses. It’s an interesting thread, and I appreciate all your perspectives. For the record, the contractor originally gave me an overall cost and told me that the job would take three days. In order for me to evaluate whether I thought the cost was reasonable or not I asked them how many people would be required. He then told me it was based on two people working for three days. I then simply divided the number of people involved by the number of days to establish a rough day rate. The job was in London, where prices are particularly high. FYI The day rate would be the equivalent to someone on £100k per year. However, if the builder, who is the expert, tells me the job is going to take two men, three days. I will bow to their expert opinion. I am not in the trade. The discomfort that I’m feeling is that, given the relatively high day rate, the difference between the job taking two days versus three days is pretty significant. 33.3% to be exact.

Not sure it's that black and white, I get what the OP is saying, yet their argument is floored for reasons mentioned, they'd not be willing to pay a bit more if it had taken say 4 days. The lesson (as ever) to be learned is both the customer and contractor have been equally crap in their approach to the job and should be more specific in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back