Do building reg require plasterboard to be skimmed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the building inspector to signoff a project does the plasterboard have to be skimmed, or is it sufficient to just joint it, paper with lining paper and then paint ?

Sponsored Links
For the building inspector to signoff a project does the plasterboard have to be skimmed, or is it sufficient to just joint it, paper with lining paper and then paint ?
If you papered it, how would anyone know what’s beneath it anyway? Why not just joint and paint it?

What do you mean by "joint"?

Where is this plasterboard installed? (What kind of bulding/where in the building)

How thick is the board?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It may not conform to the required fire rating for the component or surface spread of fire.

It may not conform to the required fire rating for the component or surface spread of fire.
Yes that would be the deciding factor.

The project is a detached Barn conversion into a single dwelling - I'm trying to get as much info as I can in advance .... but on this question I guess I'll just have to wait until I can ask the inspector.

If you papered it, how would anyone know what’s beneath it anyway? Why not just joint and paint it?
My jointing is good enough to take lining paper and paint ... but not good enough for just paint on it's own !!

Using taper edged boards and jointing/filling the tapers, so skimming is not needed... unless you balls up the jointing.
Normal thickness boards 12.5mm
I was seeking to confirm with the OP what they meant by "joint".. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back