Do-Gooders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rather than hijack another post, I thought that I'd start a thread anew. I was listening to the radio the other night, and someone had phoned in because 'they' were now trying to ban piggy banks because they are offensive to muslims. Presumably the same 'they' who try to get primary school children to sing 'Baa Baa Green Sheep' or countless other well-reported cases of 'PC gone mad'.

However, I would like to know if 'they' really exist at all, or are they just an invention by the tabloids to provoke outrage, or to generate callers to late night radio. We never get to hear any interviews with these 'they' where they explain why a Muslim would object to Richard Bacon presenting Blue Peter or the like, we are just told what they are up to.

I'm not talking about printing a leaflet in Hindi, or setting up a women's refuge, but all of the crazy stories. No-one in their right mind would really call for many of the things that 'they' are asking for, and obviously it does nothing but harm to, say, race relations when one of these stories about what 'they' want comes out, coupled with outraged column inches by the Richard Littlejohns of this world.

So back to my original question - Do 'they' really exist or is it just an urban myth designed to sell papers ??

Sponsored Links
johnny_t said:
Rather than hijack another post, I thought that I'd start a thread anew. I was listening to the radio the other night, and someone had phoned in because 'they' were now trying to ban piggy banks because they are offensive to muslims. Presumably the same 'they' who try to get primary school children to sing 'Baa Baa Green Sheep' or countless other well-reported cases of 'PC gone mad'.

However, I would like to know if 'they' really exist at all, or are they just an invention by the tabloids to provoke outrage, or to generate callers to late night radio. We never get to hear any interviews with these 'they' where they explain why a Muslim would object to Richard Bacon presenting Blue Peter or the like, we are just told what they are up to.

I'm not talking about printing a leaflet in Hindi, or setting up a women's refuge, but all of the crazy stories. No-one in their right mind would really call for many of the things that 'they' are asking for, and obviously it does nothing but harm to, say, race relations when one of these stories about what 'they' want comes out, coupled with outraged column inches by the Richard Littlejohns of this world.

So back to my original question - Do 'they' really exist or is it just an urban myth designed to sell papers ??

Yes see Oilman's posts ;)

Freddie said:
johnny_t said:

Yes see Oilman's posts ;)

Oh they exist alright....just recently they wanted to change the name of church schools in Islington ..remove the St from St Joesephs etc....in case it upset the muzzies or the Jews...

If I was a Muslim or a Jew id be thoroughly embarressed about these left wing idiots fighting my cause.

Call it the golliwog syndrome.

And just to think these are meant to be educated people....I remember years ago when they wanted to ban tufty....the road safety campaign.....why?...becuase he was a white middle class lad whos family where made up of sexual stereotypes.

The do gooder nothing better to do lefty brigade do more damage by putting these people on pedestals....they cause resentment.

What absolute stupid fools!

Sponsored Links
Freddie said:
I thought Tufty was a red squirrel?

That it..I couldnt remember

The daily mirror did a cartoon at the time...tufty was gay...his dad was apkistani and the mum was a disabled lebian in a boiler siut! :LOL: :LOL:

johnny_t said:
However, I would like to know if 'they' really exist at all, or are they just an invention by the tabloids to provoke outrage, or to generate callers to late night radio.

Or to make posts like this on the internet :!:

Johnny you have fallen for it too ;)

The term 'brainstorming' is banned in the us of a, might insult mentally handicapt people
(but we all know americans (in us of a) are crazy all together, so that might explain it :D :D )

I bet at least as many have been glad to see the Yanks as not .... Imagine our loonies with the financial, techno and any other odd attribute of the US of A, Mr Blair would now be presidential-King-Queen-Duke-Princess of all eternity and it's ever changing boundaries ... And Gordon would be a street operative in a Glasgow cardboard city.
:D :D :D

"Brain storming" is now called a "Thought shower" according to many company policies...

A few real ones that I have first hand experience of:

Blackboard is now a "chalkboard" in Hounslow
Whiteboard is now a "penboard" in Hounslow
"Black Magic" is a disallowed term in... you guessed where!
"Flesh", "Tan" and other skin-related colours are banned as paint/felt-tip names (certainly in... Hounslow)
The term "coloured" is not allowed, as it insinuates that the person is somehow "different" from the norm (personally I've never liked the expression as it it covers almost every ethnicity in the world!)

Also according to at least one local government's policy, an asian person can describe themself as "asian", "black", or e.g. "Indian" (although I am yet to meet an asian who calls himself black!). However, despite being obviously white I almost always atribute myself to the "black (other)" box on forms that I don't really care about, simply so one day I can ask someone to prove I'm not black... that would be an uncomfortable conversation for them!!! :LOL: )

This whole banning of adjectives is just mad. If we are going to ban the use of "black", just because some people describe themselves so, should we not also ban the use of 6 foot. That's how tall some people are. Perhaps the term "overweight" should be reserved for just those of us that consider we are overweight.

Try it next time you check in at the airport. "Sorry you're not allowed to mention weight anymore, us fat people find it offensive! Those bags are fine, just take them off your scales and let them through."

Well, my overweight luggage bags are black too... so perhaps I should claim discrimination on both counts. I'll just draw a lady-bottom on them and I can say they're le*bian bags too. Big fat black le*bian bags. Then they'll have to let them through.

I have been discriminated against at the airport before. During some soccer tournament or other I was stopped 3 times in under 10 minutes, simply because at the time I was in jeans with a grade-1 haircut. I don't even like football. But still they asked, and looked at all my pants in my bag. If I had been a big fat black le*bian I'd have been fine (they don't like the old football at all). Especially because their pants are rubbish.

AdamW said:
Well, my overweight luggage bags are black too... so perhaps I should claim discrimination on both counts. I'll just draw a lady-bottom on them and I can say they're le*bian bags too. Big fat black le*bian bags
I've just noticed how offensive the word, "bags" might be to the check in girls. Best call it your "Big fat black le*bian luggage items" :LOL:

it gets worse, they are trying to ban the term "christmas lights" & rename them less offensive to non christians
I can't remember the name of the site but an Australian summed it up very well by saying imigrants have a choice, if you don't like the way we run our country, leave

This all kind of backs up my original point, I think.......

The Piggy Banks story was false. After investigation it turnes out that Natwest and Halifax have had promotions involving piggy banks in the past. , but don't at the moment. That's all. No 'banned piggy banks because they offend Muslims' - that was just a story in the paper to produce a degree of outrage.

Similarly, the US does not 'ban' the word brainstorming, or any other word AFAIK. Someone somewhere may have considered whether it was offensive, and everyone else decided it wasn't and carried on using it, but again the idea that it is 'banned' or trying to be banned only gets people annoyed.

And the Christmas Lights story is pretty much the same. Some council in South London has chosen to call them holiday lights or something, but it doesn't mean that if you use the words Christmas Lights then the banned words police are going to zoom round and arrest you.

Just ask yourselves - Over the last twenty years, how many times have you read about some forthcoming crazy ban in the name of political correctness. And now ask yourself how many things you have been banned from doing in that time. Actually banned. Not has become socially unacceptable, but actual, proper, get in trouble if you do it banned.

None !! The press are just using this idea of a 'they' to get people worked up.....

Sponsored Links
Back