Do I fill hollow blocks with mortar or concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im building a wall for a garage. The blocks are 6inch hollows. Do I fill them with concrete or mortar? I have a feeling its concrete.

Also do I need to do all the filling at once or can it be done in stages?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I'm only a diy but I'd do concrete, it's cheaper because of less cement, less shrinkage, and the holes should be big enough to take the aggravated.

None? Why do you need concrete in them?

The wall is 10m long so I was advised to do 6inch hollows filled if I wanted to avoid building peers. Im guessing if I put rebar in them and drill down into the slab then I can fill them in stages.

Only problem is switching from concrete to mortar with my mixer means the odd few stones get into the mortar mix.

Sponsored Links
Wouldnt it have been easier to build one or two piers in brick, rather than fill in 10m of hollow blocks?

It could of been tony if I was any good at brickwork but as im not i'll go with the filling method. Im just a DIYer so try not to get too much out of my depth with these jobs. The slab is pretty thick 6-12inches and has reinforcing mesh and footings trench so it will be able to take the weight.

I have remeasured the wall and it is closer to 8.5metres if that makes any difference.

If your joist height is under 2.4m then I would not bother.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back