Do I have a DPM?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I’m planing and laying click flooring on our ground floor. I intend to screed to get a good level using NA.

Most of the ground floor are marley tiles. I’m planning on either screeding over the tiles or remove, depending on how easy they come up. ( I’m aware of the asbestos issues and correct method of removal).

My concern is whether the marley tiles act as a damp proof membrane or not.

My property was built in 1965, my suspicion that the marley tiles are not the DPM is due to the fact there are no marley tiles underneath the kitchen cabinets (just concrete) and none under the existing floor in the downstairs toilet and bathroom.

I have also lifted the lino flooring in the dinning room. One or two of the tiles have popped so I removed these and some of the concrete was cracked so I decided to break of bit off. I found what looks and feels like polythene (image attached). There was no smell or sign of moisture. From the outside of the property I can to the black DPC. At the moment I feel pretty confident there is a DPM underneath the concrete, I just want to ask what people think and that the evidence i'm seeing should be enough to confirm a DPM and the bitumen marley tiles are not.

I've also attached an image on how I believe the polythene DMP is constructed to help get a better idea.

Attachments

• IMG_2579.jpg
    IMG_2579.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 270
  • Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 19.41.03.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-23 at 19.41.03.png
    302.4 KB · Views: 273
Sponsored Links
Same issue here so watching this! Built in 1961, marley tiles on bitumen adhesive in most of house. Places where there aren't tiles seem nice and dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back