Unsure if I can lay wood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so we live in a 300 year old stone built house and on the 1970's they extended out into what was the yard. In this extension is the kitchen and a study. We have now knocked through from the kitchen into the study and want the same flooring throughout. (so entire floor is the in extended bit of the house).
In the kitchen it was ceramic tiles (now removed), and in the study it was carpet on top of what people keep telling me are 'Marley tiles'. I've removed the carpet and left the marley tiles. The floor is generally flat throughout now, even with the marley tiles still in place.
So to recap, half the room now has solid concrete floor, and half has marley tiles.
We want to lay a solid wood floor but don't know it there is a DPM, and if we can lay ontop of the marley tiles. Can anyone help?
I do have plans of the renovation in the 1970s so will they show if a DPM was installed and if so how will it be marked?

Many thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
If going solid wood that will need gluing down
You need to remove the Marley tiles.
Then grind off old adhesive residue.
Then apply a liquid dpm like Ardex dpm1c
You could go engineered wood and float it on a underlay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back