do i have a leak (gas) ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thought id throw this one out and see what happens. last night i read the gas meter and it displayed 14304-664 at 10:30 pm this morning at 7:45 am it displayed 14305-255. is this normal considering that no gas was used AT ALL between those hours, no cooking,no heating, no hot water. and could this be why my bills are so high . Any answer welcome. Thanks

Sponsored Links
alscds said:
thought id throw this one out and see what happens. last night i read the gas meter and it displayed 14304-664 at 10:30 pm this morning at 7:45 am it displayed 14305-255. is this normal considering that no gas was used AT ALL between those hours, no cooking,no heating, no hot water. and could this be why my bills are so high . Any answer welcome. Thanks

Could a pilot light use this much ?

I`d get onto the free emergency gas number ASAP :eek:

The first question to ask is do you have an old pilot light boiler?

What make and model ???

Do you smell gas anywhere?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Or indeed a gas fire with a permanent pilot, some older gas fires are not fitted with a safety device ( is the fire a Housewarmer model) :?: & if the pilot goes out, they continue to expel a small amount of gas to the pilot, dangerous I know, but they are out there!..

The boiler is a ravenheat rsf 820. yes it does have a pilot light, as far as the smell of gas goes i have to say that if your stood outside near the boiler outlet pipe then sometimes there is a faint smell. Would the pilot light really use this much? as if you calculated it over the space of a year i bet it mounts up.

the best thing to do in this situation is go round the gas pipework and light a blow torch and stick it on the opipework if it goes bang you have definitly got a leak.

The post above by BOB.DROLE(not) is presumably meant to be a joke. On no account use a naked flame of any sort to test for a gas leak.

Why not turn off the boiler pot light tonight and see if any gas consumption is recorded? This will confirm that the gas consumption recorded before is entirely due to the pilot light (or not).

BOB.DOLE said:
the best thing to do in this situation is go round the gas pipework and light a blow torch and stick it on the opipework if it goes bang you have definitly got a leak.
i havent got a blow torch will a match do

A pilot light usually costs about £50 per annum to run! Thats why modern boilers dont have them.

The advantage is they preheat the hot water so the heat is not quite all wasted on your model.

Tony

alscds said:
BOB.DOLE said:

i havent got a blow torch will a match do

Yes, but I find they go out too quickly, throw away lighters..they are your best bet, that way you will get around the whole of the house..obviously until you find the leak...then you will get around most of your immediate area.. along with your house.....( these are the jokes, folks ) :!:

I had a similar situation very recently. My meter is in the garage and one morning a couple of weeks ago the mrs said she smelt a little bit of gas near the meter so I rang the emergency number.

I was pretty impressed with someone coming round in about 1/2 hour and he did a quick test to confirm that there was a small leak in the valve just after the outlet meter. He said that these valves are notorious for leaks and swapped it in about 10 mins.

I must say the guy was very polite and even checked all me apliances were back up & running. All for a phone call & a can of coke.

I recommend that if you smell gas then you don't hesitate to call them!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back