Do I have cowboy builders? chimney removal

The wall he's bolted into doesn't look overly clever to start with either.

If it looks wrong 9 times out of 10 it is wrong!.

Sponsored Links
So I had it out with the builders, what annoys me most he's still trying to defend it and wants payment. I said I'm not paying until we've had SE report and its been passed by building control. He says he's taking me to small claims court, I said fine.

So I had it out with the builders, what annoys me most he's still trying to defend it and wants payment. I said I'm not paying until we've had SE report and its been passed by building control. He says he's taking me to small claims court, I said fine.
Pardon the pun, but stick to your guns. You have no duty to pay for defective work under any contract (whether the contract is written or verbal it's still a contract).

If gallows brackets are acceptable (with a diagonal strut, not just "L" shaped) then then need to go above the floor so that they don't intrude into the room.

More common, would be a lintel or steel beam diagonally and then a steel plate going back towards the corner. Again, this will be above the floor or in the ceiling.

The two criteria are that it not only supports the brickwork, but also you don't want to see the supports in the room.

Youve done the right thing.

The builder is annoyed because he knows ges been rumbled.

Your problem now is that he is unlikely to come back, so you need somebody to do it properly.

I dont know why builders do this -if you have a structural engineer design the support, the builder has a clear spec and provided he builds it correctly he will be protected legally because the SE will underwrite his work and will have PI cover.

Sponsored Links
You might have a case to make a claim for compensation and for your costs in making the chimney stack safe.

Pardon the pun, but stick to your guns. You have no duty to pay for defective work under any contract (whether the contract is written or verbal it's still a contract).

If gallows brackets are acceptable (with a diagonal strut, not just "L" shaped) then then need to go above the floor so that they don't intrude into the room.

More common, would be a lintel or steel beam diagonally and then a steel plate going back towards the corner. Again, this will be above the floor or in the ceiling.

The two criteria are that it not only supports the brickwork, but also you don't want to see the supports in the room.

Thanks some good advice there. I'm tempted to get someone else in to put up some 'proper' gallows brackets in the loft, then take the remaining upstairs chimney down myself. At least then I know it will be done with care, did I mentioned they managed to put a crack in next doors wall? (but have offered to re skim it)

oh dear, that bracket looks like it's mostly for decoration rather than holding up a whole chimney! I'm sure when the BC asked for calculations he was not expecting them to arrive for what is there at the moment.
I doubt the builder is expecting to get any money after the report comes back, so his only hope is to get paid before hand.
However, do make sure you pay for all the undisputed work according to whatveer agreed or implied payment terms, as you are liable for that part of the payment in law.

why not take it all out, save on the SE costs and steel costs, and not worry that it might all collapse?

do make sure you pay for all the undisputed work according to whatveer agreed or implied payment terms, as you are liable for that part of the payment in law.

We agreed payment would be once it has all been cleared by building control. The whole job was internal wall removed and fit RSJ, lower chimney removed and fit appropriate supports, remove rubble etc. Total cost 2650.

Today we are back on speaking terms and I have now paid them 1650 for work so far. The RSJ has passed building control and I am happy with that.

I no longer want them to do any further work on my house. Can anyone suggest what would be a fair settlement to get them out, should I pay any more? I'm not going to be intimidated by threats of court action but want to be fair for work done

Only pay for what has been done. Remember, it's you you has been inconvenienced, and will be potentially out of pocket. Don't feel sorry or obliged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back