Do I have lintels above these windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install new aluminium windows and have been asked if the windows have lintels. Its an eighties extension I think. However I have no idea if they have lintels or not. Do I need to get a builder in to open up the brick work to take a look? Its the front window and side,not the French doors. Thanks

Attachments

• windows2.jpg
    windows2.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 93
  • windows3.jpg
    windows3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 90
  • windows1.jpg
    windows1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 90
  • windows.jpg
    windows.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 87
  • house.jpg
    house.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
No external lintels just a cast in situ concrete lintel on the inner skin, judging by the crittal frames if it is an extension then more 40's than 80's

Thank you for your reply. The company that supply and fit the aluminium windows send a surveryor to do the measurements for the new window, charging £300, but can't say if I have a lintel or not. As you say I will require an external lintel I guess I will need to ask the company what type. As I am basically being told this is a job I need to do before they will supply and fit. How do I go about it? Also any idea of what I should expect to pay. I have not gone cheap and kind of suprised the very basics not being explained. The window is aluminium push out with a lower handle and approx 30kg. I could get a builder and just buy the window, but then the company would not be liabel and I would prefer to get them done by the suppliers of the window in all honesty

Sponsored Links
No-one should be charging anything to measure up, let alone £300.

I would have thought that any good firm that fits windows would know of, or use, in-house or external contractors to do any structural works related to the frame fitting. You could specify that as a requirement, and if the firm can't meet that requirement, find one that can.

Otherwise it's a general builder's job and you'll need to go about the usual process of getting quotes, and comparing like-for-like quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back