Do I have to call an expert in with my sealed CH system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sealed CH system and one of my downstairs rads has a leaky valve after I turned it (now wishing I hadn't).

Fully open it will release about 2 tablespoons of water in about 8 hours, but closed or partially closed it will release a lot more than this.

I wish to replace it, a task I see as fairly simple, but all the sites I have visited suggest, to the effect "if you have a sealed system, call the experts, if you don't here's how you do it".

Unfortunately they don't tell you why: can anyone explain why?

I can't see anything in the manual (yet- still flicking through it) saying why I shouldn't be able to do it myself.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

For reference the bolier is a Worcester 24CDi RSF

Sponsored Links
Is there a nut around the spindle, other one which holds the spindle surround (brass?) into the chrome valve body?
If so, try tightening it a bit.
If you have to chamge the valve it's not hard - do a search??

Thanks Chris, I'll give that a go first.

No, changing it isn't the problem, I can do that without instructions, it's just that I'd thought I'd better check on the net first if there was a problem with removing radiator connections with sealed systems. So far anything that involves disconnecting a rad that is on a sealed system as opposed to an open system yields "refer to an expert"!

Cheers

Andy

Sponsored Links
Find any automatic bleed valves and make sure they're shut, then release the pressure in the system. After that shut the valve at the other end of the rad, then change the valve.

Have the pressure relief valve open, check the air pressure in the expansion vessel, close the PRV and set the system pressure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back