Do i have to use a breathable Damp Proof Membrane on timber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently building a toilet/shower timber framed building on my campsite. I'm building the timber frame panels in a barn, so i've done the 4"x2" studs, roof and sole plates, 9mm OSB sheathing, and now i need to attach a DPM.

Does it need to be breathable? Obvoiusly, normal DPM is far cheaper than breathable DPM

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I'm currently building a toilet/shower timber framed building on my campsite. I'm building the timber frame panels in a barn, so i've done the 4"x2" studs, roof and sole plates, 9mm OSB sheathing, and now i need to attach a DPM.

Does it need to be breathable? Obvoiusly, normal DPM is far cheaper than breathable DPM

Thanks in advance!

there is no such thing as a breatherable damp course

If you can prove that the frame wont get any excess moisture so wont need to let it escape, then you wont need a breathable membrane

It's only £40 a roll, just put the pitch prices up next summer to get the money back

Sponsored Links
Modern sheathing and sarking membranes are designed to let vapour out but not let water in.

So we builders are told.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back