Do I need a better / bigger gas supply to install Central Heating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, really appreciate some advice from the professionals please. Daughter is looking to make an offer on a smallish 2 bed mid terraced house which does not have central heating. It currently has a gas hob, gas fire in lounge and a gas fire (Baxi Brazilia - looks like an antique!) in one bedroom. There is a large water cylinder that is heated by electric and sounds like a kettle boiling.

Can we assume, being that the property already has gas appliances, that the incoming gas supply would be adequate to install central heating (combi+rads, etc.) or is there a chance that we might have to spend lots of money installing an uprated supply? We are trying to determine the price to offer for the property and do not want to suddenly get caught out with extra costs.

Thank you very much indeed for any advice.

Sponsored Links
The gas supply should in theory cope with a 62kW combi. A place like that only needs a 28/30kW combi. Loads to spare. If the gas supply is inadequate then, as been said, the gas service provider uprates the gas supply at his expense. I doubt that would be the case.

Hi and thanks for the info - do British Gas normally upgrade the supply if required (or maybe they only do this if they are fitting the central heating?). Thanks again.

ADDED - sorry new post since I added this - it appears that they do upgrade the supply then - many thanks for the info

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone for the info - that has certainly put our minds to rest.

I seem to have heard of some cases where they will not upgrade the supply at their cost.

I have also come across some areas which on a cold winter Sunday, when people are at home with heating on full, the supply from the meter has fallen to a pressure 4 mbar below the minimum that should be supplied!

They are rare cases. Boiler manufacturers who had tight pressure operating tolerances had big problems in some areas.

I have heard a few cases recently where people have had their boiler serviced only to be told that the supply pipe (from meter to boiler) is undersized - with no mention of it in previous services. Has someone moved the goalposts?

So why would the pipe be undersized if presumably fitted correctly in the first place. Are you saying that they were not fitted correctly?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back