First time buyer seeking advice on central heating system

• Thread starter blisworthbabe1989
  • Start date
B

blisworthbabe1989

Hello,

I am a FTB and I have had an offer accepted on a 2 bedroom detach. It is the perfect home for me and in a good location, but the only catch is there are no radiators.

I understand it will likely cost £3000+ to install a new central heating system in the property which is something I can afford. What I would like to know is if I would need to connect to the mains gas on the street - the estate agent has already told me there is a gas supply to the oven, so does this mean there is gas mains to the property already? I have looked at the other 2 bedroom properties on the street (that have previously sold) and some of those have radiators installed (presumable retrofitted) but on the house brochures they all say 'gas radiator heating' as opposed to 'gas central heating'. What are your honest thoughts on this?

Many thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
If there is a gas hob it will be connected to a meter. So you can install a gas boiler without digging the road up.

If there is a gas hob it will be connected to a meter. So you can install a gas boiler without digging the road up.
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I will get the surveyor to confirm this mains gas connection too.

So ideally, I should be looking at quotes to get a new central heating system installed. Don't suppose anyone have any recommendations on a reputable company to use?

could it not be tanked gas??
dont assume it a given or a cheap option
it could be a few hundred or many thousands if not locally available mains gas connection

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
From what I understand it was connected by mains gas - I don't remember seeing any LPG tanks when I went to view the property. But I will confirm.

also a "central heating system" can loosely be any system controlled centrally
it could be electric storage heating or electric radiators control centrally
unless it say gas central heating it may not be ??

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I will get the surveyor to confirm this mains gas connection too.

So ideally, I should be looking at quotes to get a new central heating system installed. Don't suppose anyone have any recommendations on a reputable company to use?
It's a bit difficult to suggest anyone when yuppie haven't posted your location. What's your nearest town / first half of your postcode?

Prices vary nationally and also between houses due to their individual complexities, but even so I'd suggest your £3k isn't going to get you very far. £5k might be more realistic.

Does YOUR details say "gas central heating"? If so, it my be warm air heating. That, in itself, is not a bad thing -but a lot of these are ancient. Check with EA as to the heating provision, don't wait for surveyor. Also, surveyors, IMO and frankly, are among the most overpriced and useless "professionals", and there reports are littered with get out clauses.

If the EA confirms that there is WAH, then ask if you can send in your own gas fitter (GasSafe RGI), to inspect the heating. The units can be dangerous, eg, if the heat exchanger is split. If this is refused, and you proceed, get a RGI BEFORE using the gas heater to service and check for safety. HINT:a service, IMO, should not be much more expensive than an "inspection"

Does YOUR details say "gas central heating"? If so, it my be warm air heating. That, in itself, is not a bad thing -but a lot of these are ancient.

It’s definitely not warm air heating - I saw no vents in the property. The house has storage heaters which are obviously powered by electric. I will remove these and the heavy bricks that are in them - not looking forward to that. But not before I get radiators installed with pipes installed under the floorboards then proceed to get a boiler fitted at a later date.

It's a bit difficult to suggest anyone when yuppie haven't posted your location. What's your nearest town / first half of your postcode?

Prices vary nationally and also between houses due to their individual complexities, but even so I'd suggest your £3k isn't going to get you very far. £5k might be more realistic.

The cost of installing the combi boiler is about £1500 surely?

To be honest - very unrealistic.

When you say that you've had quotes, do you mean quotes as in a formal agreement detailing the work to be done and the price for the work? Or have a few people mentioned that it might be about £1500?

The work needed is not just installing a boiler, it's installing all the pipework and radiators and associated controls along with running a gas supply to the boiler.

On the subject of removing the existing storage heaters - check that they do not contain any asbestos panels as some older heaters did.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back