Do I need a boiler header tank feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently moved and had problems with my heating after trying to bleed a radiator. On investigation I found the header tank was dry and its water supply disconnected (cut pipe hanging in mid air!). Does this need fixing or is the system likely to need so little topping up that a visit to the attic with a bucket of water every couple of years will do?

Sponsored Links
Maybe you have a sealed system boiler fitted.

Thanks for your reply Nige, but I'm a cheapskate looking for a simpler solution.

Maybe you have a sealed system boiler fitted.
Thanks for your reply Nige, but I'm a cheapskate looking for a simpler solution.
Not suggesting boiler has to be changed , just that it has been changed in the past to a different type of system

the boiler may have been changed to one that does not need a header tank , and is pressurised
thats what i had changed , we had an old a 1904 house , with no water upstairs and a header tank , that we checked each year - when the 40 year old boiler failed , it was replaced with a new pressure system, and so nolonger needed the header tank and the pipework cut off

you may have a filler loop with a pressure gauge on - or maybe part of the boiler - a few photos and make and model of the boiler may help

the system may need repressurising and then you can bleed the radiators and repressurise again

Sponsored Links
Look around for a water pressure gauge - there might be one on the face of the boiler, in which case you have a sealed system which simply needs to be repressurised.

Thanks for your suggestion eta, but it's not a pressurised system. The boiler is an ideal classic ff, probably about 20 years old. There is no pressure guage and manually topping up the header tank and a bit of system bleeding was all that was required to fix my heating problems. I have since checked the level in the tank and it isn't going down, so there doesn't seem to be an issue with leaks elsewhere in the system.

The water level should go down, as air is released from radiators.

Then you need to reinstall the cold feed to the tank. My best guess is that someone began converting to a sealed/ pressurised system, then changed their minds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back