1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I need a boiler header tank feed

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Kenads, 24 Mar 2021.

1. Kenads

Kenads

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Recently moved and had problems with my heating after trying to bleed a radiator. On investigation I found the header tank was dry and its water supply disconnected (cut pipe hanging in mid air!). Does this need fixing or is the system likely to need so little topping up that a visit to the attic with a bucket of water every couple of years will do?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe you have a sealed system boiler fitted.

4. Kenads

Kenads

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your reply Nige, but I'm a cheapskate looking for a simpler solution.

5. ETAF

ETAF

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not suggesting boiler has to be changed , just that it has been changed in the past to a different type of system

the boiler may have been changed to one that does not need a header tank , and is pressurised
    thats what i had changed , we had an old a 1904 house , with no water upstairs and a header tank , that we checked each year - when the 40 year old boiler failed , it was replaced with a new pressure system, and so nolonger needed the header tank and the pipework cut off

you may have a filler loop with a pressure gauge on - or maybe part of the boiler - a few photos and make and model of the boiler may help

the system may need repressurising and then you can bleed the radiators and repressurise again

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Look around for a water pressure gauge - there might be one on the face of the boiler, in which case you have a sealed system which simply needs to be repressurised.

7. Kenads

Kenads

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for your suggestion eta, but it's not a pressurised system. The boiler is an ideal classic ff, probably about 20 years old. There is no pressure guage and manually topping up the header tank and a bit of system bleeding was all that was required to fix my heating problems. I have since checked the level in the tank and it isn't going down, so there doesn't seem to be an issue with leaks elsewhere in the system.

8. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The water level should go down, as air is released from radiators.

Then you need to reinstall the cold feed to the tank. My best guess is that someone began converting to a sealed/ pressurised system, then changed their minds.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Sponsored Links