Do I need a cooker circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for all the good info and assistance to the people that contribute to the forum

Back to my question

I have a cooker with a double gas oven, four gas hobs and an electric grill. So the upper grill and the lower oven can work at the same time. But not both ovens and the grill.

These are the specifications: https://www.belling.co.uk/products/cooking/freestanding-cookers/fsg60do/

Installation
Gas TypeNat Gas

Gas Inlet Type1/2" BSP Female

Gas Inlet PositionRear Right

Terminal Block PositionRear Centre

Supply Voltage (V)240V

Supply Frequency (Hz)50Hz

Lead Length (Metres)1.9

Total Electrical Power Load (kW)1.7

Total Gas Power Load (kW)12.25

Fuse Size (A)13

Fitted 3 Pin PlugYes

Sponsored Links
The fact that is says : "Fitted 3 Pin Plug Yes" "Load (kW)1.7"
I would say no. Just use the socket circuit.

However, you may want a different cooker in the future, so if you are having a new kitchen put in, it would be sensible to run a cable in at the same time

Apart from anything else, if it comes with a plug then you don't need a separate cooker circuit.

You need a circuit that can take 1.7kW. 16a radial, 32a ring final etc with a 13a plug.

Sponsored Links
The fact that is says : "Fitted 3 Pin Plug Yes" "Load (kW)1.7"
I would say no. Just use the socket circuit.

However, you may want a different cooker in the future, so if you are having a new kitchen put in, it would be sensible to run a cable in at the same time

Definitely would get a cooker circuit installed in the future. I wasn't sure about the plug thing, Ive seen a similar model with a timer with "hardwiring: yes" on the currys website . But I suppose belling know best.

Apart from anything else, if it comes with a plug then you don't need a separate cooker circuit.

Yeah, that is a good way to look at it. Its one of those plugs that you connect to a wire though. Not a moulded plug.

You need a circuit that can take 1.7kW. 16a radial, 32a ring final etc with a 13a plug.

Could I get this information from the front of my breaker?

At the moment the cooker trips my breaker as the grill element turns on by itself when power is plugged in, followed by a bang. I was concerned its due to the wrong electrical circuit its plugged into but it could also be a faulty element. Belling engineer has been booked.

Could I get this information from the front of my breaker?
Any circuit other than a lighting one would be able to supply 1.7 kW.
At the moment the cooker trips my breaker as the grill element turns on by itself when power is plugged in, followed by a bang. I was concerned its due to the wrong electrical circuit its plugged into but it could also be a faulty element. Belling engineer has been booked.
'The wrong electrical circuit' would not cause that. You've done the right thing by calling for an engineer.

Kind Regards, John

Mr Jay, you say the plug has to be wired to the cable as it is not a moulded plug, then you say there is a 'bang' when the grill comes on.
Before calling the engineer have you checked you have wired the plug correctly and checked there is not a stray strand bridging the plug terminals?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back