Do I need a lintel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have a new window fitted, a smaller one in place of this larger window.

The window company is asking if I need a lintel? Any ideas?

4L9rEts.jpg

Sponsored Links
Smaller in height or width?

I'd imagine there is already a lintel in place being a newish build extension so no you won't need one, I'd be more concerned about the asthetics on the mortar colour match, brick match and tying them into the existing will look

Smaller in height or width?

I'd imagine there is already a lintel in place being a newish build extension so no you won't need one, I'd be more concerned about the asthetics on the mortar colour match, brick match and tying them into the existing will look

The extension was built in the 1980's I believe, ahh with that, I should have mentioned it's probably going to get rendered so it shouldnt matter too much. Just out of curiousity how can you tell just by looking it will have a lintel, is it because they would have been the regs at the time?

You could chop out the mortar circled and if it has a catnic lintel you should see it about an inch back from the face, alternatively you could peel the top trim(arrowed) away which could also expose the edge of a catnic, if you don't see a steel catnic its possible that the only lintel is a concrete type only on the inner skin but then i'd expect to see some deflection in those 2 or 3 unsupported courses of bricks above the window but they look pretty straight and no cracked mortar

20210327_101534.jpg

Sponsored Links
You could chop out the mortar circled and if it has a catnic lintel you should see it about an inch back from the face, alternatively you could peel the top trim(arrowed) away which could also expose the edge of a catnic, if you don't see a steel catnic its possible that the only lintel is a concrete type only on the inner skin but then i'd expect to see some deflection in those 2 or 3 unsupported courses of bricks above the window but they look pretty straight and no cracked mortar

View attachment 228299

Thanks very much for that, peeled back the plastic and it appears there is a thin metal lintel which I assume is a catnic lintel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back