Do I need a new central heating pump?

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to the help of the good people on this forum, have recently improved the heating in my house by balancing the rads. NB: All rads and CH pump have also been bled.

However, there is still lack of heat at some of the rads.
I know they are capable of getting nice and hot when I was experiementing during the balancing exercise.

Starting to think that my CH pump may need replacing....

Have read that a sign of this needing replacing can be that rads aren't getting as hot.
Also, that the pump itself is getting very hot which it is.

It's the same pump as when we moved in 17 years ago and suspect it's much older than that.

It's a red Grundflos Selectric.

I've got boiler cover with Baxi which I know covered the diverter valve I had replaced a year or so back, so was thinking the pump might also be covered.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yeah I know.
It's the ch pump I'm interested in though.
OK smart erse good luck , some pumps are located within the boiler some external, some controlled by the boilers electronics some not, some require a pump overrun some not, but seeing as you have a Baxi boiler we all know which model you have

Sponsored Links
My Crystal ball has been playing up recently, but I’d hazard a guess to a heat only boiler, with external pump. I don’t think Baxi boiler cover would fall under that category

External Grundfos Selectric pump.
Boiler is Potterton Suprima 60 HE.
I was surprised that the diverter valve was covered by the insurance as also external to the boiler.
I doubt the pump would be covered but I'll ask just in case.
Realistically though, looks like I'd have to fund a pump myself.
Just trying to do a bit of premlinary investigation first, so asking what the telltale signs of a dodgy pump are?

I suppose it depends on the level of cover? Maybe it’s heating home-care like BG? If the motorised valve (doubt you have a diverter, unless a W plan) was covered, then perhaps the pump might be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back