Do I need a new roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have lived in the house for about 10 years. Had a few slipped tiles (one which went through the car windscreen!). Theres a few that have cracked. The attic is a bedroom and bathroom so we don't have access from underneath.

There is a small patch under the chimney where the ceiling wallpaper has bubbled over time. But, this hasn't got much worse and certainly isn't wet.

These pics are from the rear, the front is in a similar condition.

We are currently remortgaging on a ten year fix, and if we need any major work wanted to add the cash now to the mortgage as it will be difficult afterwards.

Do we need a new roof, or should we just get someone to give it a good repair? And what are the approximate costs? We are in Worcestershire.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
It doesn't look too bad.
A decent overhaul will see it last another good few years.

I'd be more concerned about the brickwork mortar.

It doesn't look too bad.
A decent overhaul will see it last another good few years.

I'd be more concerned about the brickwork mortar.

Yes, we are sorting out the pointing now as well.

As for the roof. Approx how much would we be looking to pay for a decent overhaul? And when you say a good few years, how long would you say? More than 10 years?

Hard to say from photos.
If the tiles are as good as they look and solid then not very much to repair.
The lead work and ridge tiles will be the pricey bit if needing attention, replacing broken tiles is the easy bit.

Sponsored Links
The lead work around the window is quite recent as we sorted that. There is a velux on the other side which doesn't seem to be a problem. The edge of the chimney lead work is where I think the ceiling problems in the top bedroom stem from, so that probably needs looking at.

As I say some of the actual tiles are missing and some are split.

As above.

Its hard to tell but there appears to be a "something" popping out from behind the c/stack at the back gutter position - what is it?

The side flashing to the dormer is wrong - it should have been installed like the stack flashing, soakers and stepped flashing.

Is the bedroom damp showing at the front of the c/breast or at the back?

Do you mean the not at the top left of the chimney as it attaches to the roof? I see what you mean. I haven't noticed anything but will have a look when its light.

The peeling ceiling paper in the top bedroom actually comes from the front chimney I think. Here's the front of the house.....

As for the side flashing to the former. Is that something we should have changed? It hasn't caused any problems like it is. Bit if we are having things sorted then we can get that sorted if that's even possible?

Still really would like a ballpark figure of what we would be looking at to have a good overhaul? Are we talking £400/£500 or more or less? And will that give us 10+ years more life?

It's impossible to give a ball park figure without inspection. The tiles may be ok but batons rotten, the batons may be ok but tiles may be brittle.
Too many variables to estimate from photos.

It's impossible to give a ball park figure without inspection. The tiles may be ok but batons rotten, the batons may be ok but tiles may be brittle.

Fair enough. I have had a couple of people round so far and they haven't got up to have a look. Might be a daft question but..... Should I be expecting them to actually get up on a ladder and have a good look around?

Fair enough. I have had a couple of people round so far and they haven't got up to have a look. Might be a daft question but..... Should I be expecting them to actually get up on a ladder and have a good look around?

As a customer I'd expect them to go up, how can they give an accurate quote without doing so?
As a contractor I would, for reasons above.

As above.

I always climbed before quoting, esp. when stacks or parapets were involved.
That way, no nasty and costly surprises for me.

Had another chap round today and he said that once you get scaffold up, you may as well do a full job. He was suggesting renewing everything, putting in felt, changing all the flashings etc but keeping the tiles and just replacing the totally shot ones.

He is sending me a quote so will come back when I have that.

Really hard to get people out to quote, let alone find someone we know we can trust!

From what we can see there is no need for a new roof.

Replace any broken or missing tiles, and locating the leak at the rear chimney stack seems to be whats needed. This doesn't require a scaffold.

Simply by lifting the lead flashing or back gutter at the stack will often reveal leak penetrations.

Well I have had another couple of people to have a look and still non the wiser. Had no prices yet.

The last couple didn't really offer much advice and just asked what I wanted. Which doesn't really help.

They have all suggested the flashing around the front chimney needs changing ( I can see gaps) and the flashing around the velux needs work. They also agreed with above that the flashing at the bottom of the former needs correcting and the ridge tiles need repointing.

I still haven't had anyone physically go on the roof though!

Got another couple of people lined up, so will see what they say and come back when I have some quotes.

It's obvious that you want to prolong the life of your roof and imho this is a no brainer:

1) remove and replace all damaged tiles.

2) replace lead where needed.

3) remove ridge tiles, clean off existing mortar from ridge and roof tiles and re-bed ridges.

Don't have them just re-pointed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back