Roof Leaking 1930s Semi Around - Chimney Area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have a leak in the main roof of a 1930s semi - we think its around the chimney area as when the weather is blowing one way - its not too bad but when blowing the other way the chimney breast in the attic is wet - you can see its obviously wet

The water is then going down the beams and also been dripping in the bedroom area - so it needs sorting now - I have a feeling its been like it since we moved in 12 years ago - the beams arent rotten yet but they dont look great at the ends where the water drips from them

Me and my old man did go up there on a roof ladder a few years ago now - and had a look at the lead etc - and everything seemed OK - the brick chimney could probably do with a re-point as plants keep attaching to the motar - that was a while ago now so cant remember fully but it seemed OK at the time

Last year we went up again on a roof ladder and as we are that many years older now with bad backs and dodgy ankles I decided we wont be doing it again this year ---- Anyway we went up this time to clear the chimney and fill in some cement in the valleys that had come loose which in itself was quite challening - we also had a small tree growing out the cement crown of the roof - so we removed that too

So the roof is still leaking and I didnt think at the time we went up last year but that crown had a big crack in the motar - its got me thinking it maybe that

Anyway called a few roofers yesterday and immediately they basically said you may need a new roof altogether - if thats the case thats fine but Im not convinced yet - we also dont want a new roof as we would then think of doing a attic conversion at the same time - but we cant do that as money is tight at the moment - so ideally a repair would be ideal just for now

Anyway just seeing if the crown would let a lot of water in??? It was a decent root that came out

I have a drone - I may send it up there and post on here to see what you guys think

Anyway this year we will be getting some scaffolding if we do go up - but will see what some of the roofers say first and also any ideas from here

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Here you go

Heres a video - it was a bit windy - got a bit too close at times!

Google is still processing the video but should be in 1080p later on (its only 360p at the moment)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GHJsYd6kDFrBUL87

The crack isnt clear but its around the 1.27min mark at the bottom right of screen if that makes sense - you can also see we put flash band on the ridge tile against the lead too

Looks ok to me but its hard to see - that plant is comming back already and we only did it last summer

Entire chimney needs repointing and the top re-flaunching.

I cannot see any obvious problem with the roof.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks - will try and get some scaffolding in then this time - as we can do that - some of the motar joints are really thin - just a strong sand cement mix for everthing? 3:1??

Neighbour is in the building trade too so maybe able to get someone he knows for a decent price

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back