under tile insulation where slate roof has no felt??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a slate roof circa 1870, original slate, no felt. Our 3rd floor (attic floor) is a livable space or at least it was many years ago, when we bought house it hadn't been lived in for ten years and so far in last 7 since we bought it we only used attic floor for storage. We now want to install a velux roof terrace and use as fully livable/usable space....The question is if we need to put in/change under tile insulation to make more suitable for modern living (could do by working from within by removing plaster n Lath as it isn't in best condition and we are aiming to re plaster) do we have to re roof and apply felt at the same time. i.e can you only under tile insulate if you have felt??? Overall the roof is in ok condition, a few gaps and the odd slate falls but really not bad so if we don't have to do the felt it would make this job much cheaper......however don't want to make a stupid mistake and do something wrong now which costs us in years to come.

Going to ask a few builders their thoughts but swotting up ahead.

Many thanks for any guidance,

Sponsored Links
you can insulate from the inside if your taking the ceiling down anyways you then insulate inbetween each rafter spacing with kingspan sheet or similar then fit new plaster board and bobs your uncle lol be sure to leave a space for air flow

You say 'A few gaps and the odd slate falls' that sounds quite bad to me! - if its the original 1870 slate roof then its quite likely ready for renewal, 'slate falls' indicate corroded slate nails which will not get better.

Get a professional roofer to take a look rather than a general builder if you can. It may well be that the roof should be replaced now along with the other works, you would benefit from having felt installed and peace of mind - and reduce the risk of having to put a scaffold up again in the near future.

Sponsored Links
thanks both, the builder we just had around did suggest might get away without redoing the roof but I think i will get another one around and maybe a couple of roofers too.

Many thanks for both your posts much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back