Do I need a non-return valve here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi :D

Just plumbing in a new bathroom.

It makes logical sense in the room to plumb the sink waste into the pan connector so it flows into the soil pipe. I've bought a right angle pan connector that has a 32mm socket on it to take the sink waste.

Should I be putting a non return valve (like this) between the sink trap and the pan connector? These only seem to exist in 40mm fitting, so I guess I'd use 2x solvent weld 32mm/40mmr reducers to get this in.

The reason I ask is based on concern that back pressure from flushing the toilet will empty the sink trap and allow smell from the soil pipe into the room.

Any thoughts really appreciated :)

Cheers,

Tom

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
You dont need a non return valve, install a trap with an aav and you wont have any problems with the trap being emptied.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back