do i need a phone number to dial 999?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
since moving into my flat, I havent had a landline since I didn't need one..
I DO have a BT phone point and if I plug my phine from my old house into it, I get a dial tone but can't phone anywhere ( hey it was worth a try.. )

I now wonder whether it's still possible to dial 999 incase of emergency ( I have a bad habit of not remembering to charge my mobile.. )

Sponsored Links
I know a mobile phone can dial 999 even if it has no credit, no SIM card in it and no signal.(providing it can talk to another networks antenna!)

Have you tried?

You only have to hang up quickly just to check the line works for that.

Sponsored Links
You can't hang up if you dial 999 - the operator keeps you connected until they hang up.

Try dialling 17070 - BT test number. Does anything happen?

I believe you can still dial 999 and a few select other numbers too. The line is still connected and still has a number associated with it, but is locked down.

You should not rely on this, as if you show no interest in the line, it will eventually be released and the line will go dead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back