Do I need a Plasterer, Builder or both

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry this is my first post. I want to take down a wall in my kitchen then plaster over to join the two rooms.

Do I need a Builder to pull the wall down then get a plasterer in to finish off the job? Or do I just need a plaster to come in and he would do the whole job?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You need to check first if teh wall is load bearing i.e. supporting a wall etc above.

You don't want to go pulling down walls until you know this.

IF it is load bearing , you can put in a suitable RSJ before knocking down the reat of the wall. You will usually have to leave a supporting pier or column at each end.

As for builder or plasterer, it really depends on who you getand what they can do. This is really building work.

I must repeat though , you need someone competent to tell you whether the wall is load bearing, and if it is what size rsj etc to use.

It might be worth ringing the council (perhaps without giving your name and full address ;)) for advice

Where in Herts are you? Don't give me your full address either :cool:

I am in Hemel Hempstead.

I have got a few builders coming out to have a look at the job in the next few days so I am sure that they will give me a price for the wall.

I think I will ask the builder to take the wall dwon and get another person in for the plastering.

any builder worth his salt will be able to carry out the patching up of the plaster youll need

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back