Do I need a tank in my loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive recently bought a house which has a combi boiler installed. Im thinking of buying an electric shower rather than having the shower run off the boiler. Do I need a tank in my loft or can the electric shower be connected to the mains?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Electric shower can be connected to the mains and cold water taken from rising main.
Are you say that you have both combi boiler and cold water storage cistern?

There is a combi boiler in the kitchen and a tank in the loft. The tank in the loft is empty and cracked so will be getting rid of it. If I can have a combi boiler and an electric shower connected to the mains water then I think thats the way to go. That way if the boiler packs in I can still get a hot shower.

Ive recently bought a house which has a combi boiler installed. Im thinking of buying an electric shower rather than having the shower run off the boiler.
Instead of, rather than as well as?

No no no - unless there's something dreadfully wrong with your combi then no electric shower will come close to it - they are about 1/3 the power.

Do I need a tank in my loft or can the electric shower be connected to the mains?
Instant heat electric ones need to be connected to the mains.

If I can have a combi boiler and an electric shower connected to the mains water then I think thats the way to go. That way if the boiler packs in I can still get a hot shower.
As well as not instead of is the way I plan to go, and for the same reason.

Sadly not the way I wanted: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/alternative-supplies-for-a-mixer-shower.331219/ but completely separate.

Sponsored Links
If I can have a combi boiler and an electric shower connected to the mains water then I think thats the way to go. That way if the boiler packs in I can still get a hot shower.
You can and logical.
Be aware that the shower will require 30mA RCD protection, so I would check that that provision is at the board or shower unit will need to be purchased with the RCD on it.

There is a combi boiler in the kitchen and a tank in the loft. The tank in the loft is empty and cracked so will be getting rid of it. If I can have a combi boiler and an electric shower connected to the mains water then I think thats the way to go. That way if the boiler packs in I can still get a hot shower.

BAS has to my mind the right answer.

With a combo boiler there is no way an electric shower will be any where near as good as a thermostatic mixer valve.

Unless you want to shower under a dribble forget the idea of an electric shower. Electric max 10.5kw and combi boiler at least 27kw does not take much thought to work out which is best.

FWIW, my house has an electric shower and a mixer shower off the boiler.

It was like that when we bought it and I reinstated the mixer shower recently when refurbishing the bathroom.

But if you are only thinking of one shower, I'd take it off the combi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back