Do i need a vapour barrier for SPC flooring?

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The floor is compromised of the original concrete slab, but then we had to add around 15mm depth of self-levelling to get the floor abit higher and level.

we used - https://www.instarmac.co.uk/product...rolevel-two-flexible-two-part-floor-leveller/

which is a polymer liquid based self-levelling.

Our flooring is from costco :

https://www.costco.co.uk/Home-Impro...ks-with-Foam-Underlay-133-m-Per-Pack/p/338019

It's an SPC click vinyl which is 4mm thick and with a 1mm IXPE foam underlay pre-attatched to each board.

Ive checked their manufacturers specs and the only place where it mentions anything about a vapour barrier is when it comes to "Wooden Subfloors" :

it mentions latex-underlayment but Im assuming thats just in regards to filling of holes/gaps with self-levelling? which is essentially my entire floor already done. and the mention of 6mm poly film I assume is pre-construction before the actual Slab was even laid which I wouldnt even be able to change now either way unless I dug up my entire floor just to check lol

So in this instance would it be safer for me to just buy and lay a thin vapour barrier and lay that down before the flooring? Any advice appreciated. Thank you

Screenshot 2023-07-20 111134.png

Sponsored Links
Is there a DPM under the concrete?
If not or you are not sure, I'd put one on top the self levelling compound before laying.
Your flooring says it's waterproof, so choice is yours.

Forget the bit about wooden floors, as yours is concrete.

Is there a DPM under the concrete?
If not or you are not sure, I'd put one on top the self levelling compound before laying.
Your flooring says it's waterproof, so choice is yours.

Forget the bit about wooden floors, as yours is concrete.

the house was built in the 1970's so i believed that at least some form of DPM was starting to be used at that time.

I also checked the external walls and it does seem that there is a damp proof course within the lower bricks but obviously that would be different to a DPM. is there a simple way for me to find out if there is a DPM under the concrete?

thank you for your reply btw

ive read that with SPC flooring that you cant use a DPM/Vapour barrier more than 1mm thickness due to the possibility of the flooring unhinging if any thicker than 1mm. but everywhere I look (selco, wickes, screwfix) all their underlay/dpm products are 2.5mm thickness

Sponsored Links
As you have used a moisture tolerant compound you could but a moisture suppressant down. We like to use uzin PE404
but others that would be good - mapei 1K turbo , ardex mvs , fball F78

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back