do i need building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have already built the walls of my outbuilding, but planning told me to lower the height, which we have done. Now it is permmited D. But my floor area is over 30sq metres, a building control inspector has come out and seen it and told us to do a regularisation. i would like to know do i have to do this or can i just carry on, or can they come and say no we will knock it down if you do not apply.what are the rules. I heard that i do not have to comply with building regs and the only problem would be if i wanted to sell my property some people like to see BR certificate. Also if i did apply and they ckeck it out and are not happy can they stop me from carrying on or tell me to make it smaller. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Now it is permmited D. But my floor area is over 30sq metres, a building control inspector has come out and seen it and told us to do a regularisation. i would like to know do i have to do this
Yes

or can i just carry on,
You can but they will probably serve an enforcement notice on you

or can they come and say no we will knock it down if you do not apply.
Ultimately yes & then send you a bill for doing it.

what are the rules.
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingwork/projects/workcommonoutbuildings/

I heard that i do not have to comply with building regs and the only problem would be if i wanted to sell my property some people like to see BR certificate.
That’s’ neither correct or good advice. It’s not just a prospective purchaser who may ask for a certificate of compliance; the buyers solicitor will ask you specific questions about Building Work & lying on the questionnaire is not a good idea as it can lead to a civil court action against you for damages. Additionally, your purchaser’s bank/building society may not advance the cash for your buyer to proceed meaning your sale will stall.

if i did apply and they ckeck it out and are not happy can they stop me from carrying on or tell me to make it smaller.
If you submit a Building Notice, your LABC will check & if you deviate from the Regs, or what’s been approved, again, they can serve you an enforcement notice.

Why makes you think your any different from the rest of us when it comes to complying with statutory regulations. :rolleyes:

What is this outbuilding, it may or may not require approval.

What is this outbuilding, it may or may not require approval.
Beacuse it is over 30 square meters but there could be other reasons we don't know about; BI has obviously picked up on it.

Sponsored Links
it is just a big garage, and i spoke to someone in building control on the phone they told me building control cant knock down my garage thats planning permission enforcement. and if thats not the case then what is the difference between the two i was told if i do not comply i just wont get a certificate, which could cause a problem if i sell my house one day and also my garage may not be insured.

and i spoke to someone in building control on the phone they told me building control cant knock down my garage thats planning permission enforcement.
Who did you speak to the tea lady :LOL: ;
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Planning/BuildingRegulations/DG_4001372

and if thats not the case then what is the difference between the two
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...ponsibilities/workrespbr/workrespbrdifference
Read & learn my friend. ;)

i was told if i do not comply i just wont get a certificate, which could cause a problem if i sell my house one day and also my garage may not be insured.
You’re clearly not interested in facts, just seeking to justify your own views on why you feel you don’t need to comply with the same legislation as the majority of society; this thread is going nowhere :rolleyes:

actually i did not speak to the tea lady, i spoke to 2 different people from building control on two different days and they both said the same thing. Building control has no enforcement power on these type of casses only the planning department can do this, if i do not apply for buiding control i will not get a completion certificate which could effect me when i want to sell my property but some customers dont care about that, they like a house they just buy it, i know, my sister sold her property and she was in the same situation. so i do not need building controls permission. i dont know why you keep telling me i do are u an inspector or something yourself because the council just want to make a buck out of everyone you cannot get the info i got on the net like you keep giving me links they arent gonna tell you this type of info they want everyone to apply and they make money. And i think you have an attitude problem you need to work on. dont judge me because i am clever enuff to find out all the loop holes in the rules and regulations, your just trying to show that you know more but it is clear you dont. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ANYWAY.

i spoke to 2 different people from building control on two different days and they both said the same thing. Building control has no enforcement power on these type of casses only the planning department can do this, if i do not apply for buiding control i will not get a completion certificate which could effect me when i want to sell my property
The info on the Planning Portal links I posted is quiet clear so I assume that whoever your dealing with either doesn't know their own regulations, doesn’t give a stuff or considers it too trvial to worry about. A bit of a result for you I suppose as that’s claerly what you want.
some customers dont care about that, they like a house they just buy it, i know, my sister sold her property and she was in the same situation. so i do not need building controls permission.
But whoever is lending them the money might but, hey, ho go for it you’ve got nothing to loose. ;)

i dont know why you keep telling me i do are u an inspector or something yourself
Mutley_laughing.gif

because the council just want to make a buck out of everyone you cannot get the info i got on the net like you keep giving me links they arent gonna tell you this type of info they want everyone to apply and they make money.
The regulations are there to stop idiots making dangerous mistakes & inconveniency their neighbours.

And i think you have an attitude problem you need to work on. dont judge me because i am clever enuff to find out all the loop holes in the rules and regulations, your just trying to show that you know more but it is clear you dont.
Me, an attitude problem; surely not :eek: You have an attitude where you clearly feel you should be able to do as you wish but your obviously far more intelligent than I am to find all those loop holes. ;)

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ANYWAY.
Don’t mention it but there’s no need to shout. :LOL:

Ask whoever you spoke to to send you a letter confirming their verbal advice. Ask them to put it on headed paper and add their name and title to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back