Do I need dpc for internal foundation wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We made a opening in a internal foundation wall. Before I floorboard the hole created (see picture) should I put some form of damp proof protection over foundation wall bricks?

Attachments

• IMG_8379.JPG
    IMG_8379.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 204
Sponsored Links
mrbg07546, good evening.

Short answer is Yes.

Because you cannot see below the floor, it is not possible to tell if there is a DPC in place, so best course of action is to install an independent DPC.

Ken.

Ok can I just use some membrane and wrap it round and secure it with some fixings? Or even just stick it to the underside of floorboard I plan to put over it?

Or could I even use some liquid damp proof?

Last edited:
Why would you put DPC over it, if you are floor boarding across the gap. What exactly do you think the DPC will do?

Sponsored Links
Depends if you'll rest the timber on the brisks. If so, one might be prudent given the cost, if not then it didn't matter.

Although an internal wall will likely be pretty dry anyway - I discovered ours is wetter above the dpc slate than below it, because the air under the floor was keeping it dry, but above it was getting condensation!

That wall has never had a DPC on it at that level, so why should it need one now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back