Do I need frame or steel beam over opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am planning single story extension for existing semi detached house.
Building regulations specify openings sizes however I do not know how it would apply to my house as my external wall is irregular.
I need an opening in place of existing sliding doors and not sure how much wall I need after opening. Looking from party wall I could extend existing wall from 500mm to 550mm to met regulations (550mm is based on 9'' thickness of external wall). If I was to leave existing opening I would have circa 400mm before wall steps back.

I was planning to install 2 steel beams in parallel to support external wall where existing sliding door is. Will that be sufficient or do I need steel frame to compensate irregular shape of external wall?
According to building regulations if my external back wall was straight I could have desired 210cm opening having 550mm of external wall in between opening.
Not sure if above would apply to my house.

I believe I have steel lintel over existing sliding door. I can feel steel plate above sliding door when scanning with magnet on internal side. This steel is150mm high. Not sure how strong that support is but I do not think it would comply with current building regulations as I want to support extension roof above it.

Span of the external wall when measured internally is 307cm and I would like 200-210cm opening. Currently installed patio door is sitting in 210cm opening.
External wall thickness is 2 bricks and 20mm cavity. House was build in 1936.

Please see drawing for more details.

Many thanks in advance for any guidance.

Attachments

• 49 Blakeley Ave - Extension and adaptation - Ground Floor - comments.pdf
    219.9 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back