Diguising supporting beam in external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to fit sliding doors to the rear of a property and the wall above the opening is to be supported by a steel box beam ( the opening is 4.85metres wide) My question is what is the best way to finish / disguise this beam so that when viewed externally it looks ok .

Sponsored Links
5m sliding doors, WOW! :eek:

How did you get this one past the heat loss reg's?

What will the sliding doors be made from?

Timber, upvc, aluminium?

I am about to fit sliding doors to the rear of a property and the wall above the opening is to be supported by a steel box beam ( the opening is 4.85metres wide) My question is what is the best way to finish / disguise this beam so that when viewed externally it looks ok .

What are you looking at externally now ? Facing Brickwork, Render or something else.

Is the beam flush with the existing external wall ?

In general terms, if you can't hide it, make a feature of it.

Thanks for the replys. The sliding doors will be of black alumininium and the wall they will be in is of brickwork . The beam should sit flush with the external face . By the way they havent got past building regs yet but the architect assures me all will be ok!

Sponsored Links
I'd make the architect work for his fee, thought they were supposed to have answers to these design questions?

The sliding doors will be of black alumininium and the wall they will be in is of brickwork . The beam should sit flush with the external face .

That arrangement leave little scope so as chapeau says, bash it back to the Architect!

Depending on the style of the house, "framing" the new opening is one option to think about. That is, false pillars either side and a false front to the beam in whatever style is best suited for the house.

I would have tried to get a composite beam made up such a channel section or RST with wider flanges top and bottom. The idea being to be able to infill the front channel with brickwork to match existing. Your biggest problem would be the height of the section and whether or not this could be accomodated Also Padstones at the bearing ends could be faced with brick slips. With that span and likely loading I would not expect the beam to sit on brickwork directly. Your structural engineer would advise on that (possibly employed through the Architect?)

I'd make the architect work for his fee, thought they were supposed to have answers to these design questions?
:LOL: , I`m thinking beam protruding c.50mm from face brickwork . clad in lead/other sheet metal incorporating the cavity tray over ...but then I`m a 1 "O" level Plumber :rolleyes: :LOL:

5m sliding doors, WOW! :eek:

How did you get this one past the heat loss reg's?

What will the sliding doors be made from?

Timber, upvc, aluminium?
Visit a Home Builders and renovation show if u can, these big doors are the new tilt and turn patios, no issue with regs, wood, alloy mainly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back