Do I need gloves, masks etc for this ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20200719_110131.jpg

Hi, just exposed a section of my loft to investigate etc. This stuff has probs been there over 20 odd years. I want clear it all out and refresh. Is this stuff likely to be dangerous? And thus will I need gloves and a mask?. Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Don’t know if it is dangerous but it’s going to kick up a load of dust so I'd be wearing a dust mask, goggles, gloves and a pair of those disposable paper overalls when getting rid of that lot. Oh, and I’d do it on a cool day!

It looks like loose lay fibreglass/rockwool
It will be dusty/dirty but safe
I would wear goggles/gloves and disposable overalls.
Do t on a cool day /when it's raining

Get a ton of bags- half fill And knot-seal them rather than dragging an overfill bag around the loft and stuffing it through the hatch

OMG I am itching just looking at it!:eek:
Mask, gloves, disposable suit with a hood and goggles too if possible, although seeing what's going on with them steaming up is nigh impossible. Main thing do not rub your eyes and yes a cool day.
Bag it in the loft and try to double bag it before carrying through the house.
If you can tape your sleeves to the gloves and if you get it on your skin flush off with cold water!

Sponsored Links
I echo everything Tigercubrider has said.

I did this once... it was very messy.

If you can wait, do it in autumn/winter. You'll get hot and sweaty even in winter with all the kit on
It will be chilly for 30 mins but you soon warm up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back