Do I need isolation switches for my hob and oven?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've searched the forums a bit but haven't managed to find the definitive answer to my question which is....

If I have a 3.45KW oven on a dedicated 2.5mm radial with a 16A MCB and a 6.4KW induction hob on a dedicated 6.0mm radial with a 32A MCB, do I have to install isolation switches for both appliances?

Or is it OK that I can knock power off to each appliance by flicking the relevant MCB? The CU is in the kitchen also...

Cheers

Sponsored Links
There is no longer a requirement for local isolation (Although I personally think it is a sensible option). The issue with not having two pole isolation, which a Single Pole MCB will not give you, is that when maintenance is required the neutral will not be disconnected, this could cause nuisance trips, when working on the circuit or when faults occur.

It's not compulsory.
It is certainly recommended, as when oven elements fail or water leaks into hobs it will often cause faults to earth and trip the RCD.
Switching off the single pole MCB will not remove such faults.

There is also the consideration of whether an oven cleaning company will be happy to clean it with the MCB as the only means of isolation.
Or when repairs are required, etc.

Thanks for the quick answers - good points raised there.

OK, next question then.

If i fit isolators, do they have to be near the appliance or can i fit them in line with the radials near the point where they exit the CU? And then just hook up the appliances with cooker outlet plates?

This is prior to a new kitchen being fitted so location is pretty flexible although I'd prefer not to have them above the worktops.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
They can be wherever you like - next to the CU will be fine. Although service technicians with a commercial/industrial mindset might want them to be able to be locked off.

Inline at CU is fine, and anywhere between there that is easily accessible, but not recommended to be directly above the hob.

You can lock off DP switches with an accessory lock-off box: a plastic box fitted to the accessory with a flip-up lid that can be padlocked shut.

Tonight it was lamb casserole, champ and broccoli.

But that was after that post. Lunch was a cheese, onion and crisp sandwich.

Why?

Some consumer units will take double pole switching RCBO's the RCD part is of course sensed on both poles, but over load is only sensed on the line pole, standard consumer units will not take double pole MCB's in the UK, the only way to get double pole on a single width unit is to fit RCBO's. There are clips for most RBCO's and MCB's to allow locking off, as to if the lid can be closed with lock in place is another thing, but until we went to metal consumer units it did not really matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back