Do I need planning permission to render semi detached house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I know this is probably a very common topic for discussion but it seems most of the threads I have seen are all different in their own way. I own a 3 bedroom semi detached house, it's mostly red brick apart from the top left front of the house which has an old (and aged) white render.

I've done a lot of work inside and would like to render all the external walls, probably in white. I've checked the planning portal on my local council website but it's not overly clear if I need permission to do this, I don't live in a conservation area or a listed building.

I am conscious of the appearance given that it's semi detached, however there are similar houses dotted around which have done it and they do look smart. I have asked a couple of them and they simply went ahead with it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, it's permitted development (unless the house is listed, or you are in a conservation area).

I'll second Tony. If the house isn't a Listed Building or in a Conservation Area and is in England it is defo Permitted Development under the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 and the 2017 Amendment to the Order. If it's in Wales or Scotland you might want to seek advice further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back