Do I need planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am planning on building a single storey kitchen extension on a semi detached house and would like to know if I need planning permission.

The extension will be less than 1.5 metres from the rear of the old kitchen which was built as part of the original structure, but it will be 4 metres from the main rear wall and the full width of the house.

any advise would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You will require Planning as the width would more than half the width of the house.

Sponsored Links
You will require Planning as the width would more than half the width of the house.
Is that the case with it only being a single story extension? And also, does the width rule only apply to side extensions?

Last edited:
Is that the case with it only being a single story extension? And also, does the width rule only apply to side extensions?

For the purposes of planning this is a "side" elevation. It is bonkers but that is the joy of our rubbish planning system, making this extension a wrap around side and rear extension which has to comply with both sets of criteria and usually fails on the "no more than half width of original house" rule. Although I have seen Lawful Development Certificates issued for identical rear (side) extensions so it is sometimes worth a punt.
View media item 106261

For the purposes of planning this is a "side" elevation. It is bonkers but that is the joy of our rubbish planning system, making this extension a wrap around side and rear extension which has to comply with both sets of criteria and usually fails on the "no more than half width of original house" rule. Although I have seen Lawful Development Certificates issued for identical rear (side) extensions so it is sometimes worth a punt.
View media item 106261

Ahh right. thanks for the clarification.

I'm just wondering about it against my proposed rear extension which is 7.5m width 4m out on an original house of 12.5m width. Was getting worried I would not be in the permitted development rules but sounds like I'm fine width wise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back